03: Tony Truly is a Billionaire

The top ten floors of Avengers Tower were all devoted to research and development. Clint decided to accompany Albany on the elevator ride down to her room, instead of having JARVIS lead her.

"Thank you for this, Clint- wait. Can I call you Clint? I think it would be weird if I walked around here calling you all by your superhero names." Albany rambled, wanting her statement to be sincere, but instead just an embarrassment.

He chuckled softly. "Clint is fine. Nat sometimes just says Barton. And you're welcome. But I'm sure if I hadn't volunteered to lead you to your room someone else would."

"But also for being the one to save me." She added, recalling her incident just blocks from there. "I know it was coincidental but if it were anyone else they would have just left me."

"Anytime Albany." Clint spoke with a small smile, feeling very fortunate they had rescued the teenager. Though he knew her words were untrue, he kept silent. With that, the elevator had dinged signalling that they had reached the correct floor. Albany followed Clint down that hall, one that was designated for guest living spaces. "Are you okay? After finding that all out?" He asked as they walked, his hands moving slightly at his sides.

Albany let out a sigh and spoke the truth. "No." She stopped walking at looked up at him. "Up until 5 minutes ago I thought the worst thing about my childhood was the fact I was never adopted.The fact I only knew that dull orphanage. But now I'm finding out it's so much worse."

Clint didn't speak, so she continued. "But you guys are helping me. Right? And that's a positive. And I always try to focus on the positive. It's how I've survived up until this moment."

Clint exhaled. "You're a tough girl. Keep it up."

The couple walked only a few feet further before they had reached a dark wooden door. "Room 108 is where you will be staying until we figure it out. I'm not sure how long you'll be staying, honestly." He handed her a key. "There should be a change of clothes and other necessities already inside. Do you need anything else?"

"No. This is perfect. All I have to wear is this sweatshirt Marshall tossed me before I left-" Albany stopped speaking once the words left her lips. Her light blue/green eyes widened. "Oh my god, Marshall."

"Who's Marshall?"

"Marshall! My best friend since the adoption center, my roommate, he's practically my brother. How long was I out? He's probably so worried." Albany exclaimed frantically and reached in the pocket of her jeans. "My phone! It's gone. I need to call him."

Clint sighed, not wanting to say his next words. "You were passed out for about 16 hours. I'm sure Stark can get you a phone to use but you can't tell him what happened. Not yet. Not until we understand."

Albany let out a hollowed laugh, "I'm not sure I'll ever understand."

Clint's eyes softened. The girl didn't deserve all of this, especially at her age. "I know this is all so sudden. But I can tell you're strong. Not everyone can start glowing and handle it as well as you." He comforted her, earning a smile in response. "I'll bring by a phone in a few minutes, okay?"

"Sounds good." And with a light pat on the back, Clint walked back towards the elevator. Leaving Albany to her room.

///

It was true Albany was upset that she would have to lie to her best friend. She was only still processing the last few hours. Honestly laying on the ground and crying seemed the best option at this point. But once she walked into the room the Avengers provided her, all she could feel was astonished. A very modern living room stood before her. Two long black leather couches stood parallel from each other on top of a fluffy grey rug. Embroidered designer pillows lined their surface. A coffee table sat in the center, its dark wood matching the patterns on the fireplace. A small contemporary bar connected to the marble counter of the kitchen.