Part 28

"Let's just... talk for a while." 

You and Oskar talk for what feels like forever, sat on the swings, watching the world pass quietly by. It's nice. The chains of the swings squeak softly as you kick gently back and forth. It's almost like a reminder of where you are and what you're doing because if it weren't for that quiet, significant squeak then you feel as if you might fall asleep or drift into another reality on the hold, hard seat of the swing. You look up into the sky and see shades of orange and red through thick white and off-grey clouds. It's getting late. You can also tell this by the tired look on Sumo's face and the yawn he lets out.

"Maybe I should get going. It's getting late." You suggest, tucking your hands between your thighs for warmth. 

"Yeah it's kinda late... want me to walk you home m'lady?" Oskar asks.

"No. Not if you're gonna call me m'lady." You laugh.

"Okay how about I call you brodizzle?" Oskar suggests with a highly raised eyebrow.

"Well, it's better than m'lady. But I think I'll pass. I'll feel bad making you walk back to your house in the dark." You say.

"Are you sure?" Oskar asks.

"Yes."

"Are you sure you're sure?"

"Yes, Oskar. I'm sure."

"Are you sure you're sure you're sure you're sure?"

"Shut up."

Oskar laughs and you stand up. "I'll see you around then?" He smiles.

"Yeah see you soon." You say with a wave before beginning to make your way home.

You and Sumo walk side by side as you make your way down the street. As you walk, your phone buzzes in your pocket. It's ringing. You pull it out and see who it is. It's Connor.

"Connor! Hi!"

"I have some good news Y/N." He tells you. "We've been tracking Sloth's location non-stop and we've caught up to him. His trail leads back to Detroit. We're coming home!" 

Your heart skips a beat. "Oh my gosh that's amazing!" You say with the biggest smile on your face.

"We'll be home first thing tomorrow," Connor says. "Look I have to go but I promise that the first thing Hank and I are gonna do is see you."

"I'll see you both tomorrow then."

"Bye Y/N."

"Bye." You put down the phone. "I love you." You say quietly to yourself. You feel your cheeks flare up at the thought of saying I love you to him and you rub your face and continue to walk.

There are fewer people than before and the pathway and houses have a film of orange light cast on them by the setting sun, making the world around you seem like a beautiful dystopia. However, there's a certain feeling of overhanging dread in the atmosphere. A feeling that something bad is gonna happen. Sumo feels it too. As he walks. his ears are perked up as if he's listening for something and his eyes seemingly dart back and forth as if he's waiting for danger to walk around the corner any second. This unsettles you, to say the least. 

As you make it onto your street, a cold gust of wind blows through you and you shiver, hugging your arms close to your chest. A drop of rain falls. Then another. Then another. It's raining now.

"Shit..." You mumble to yourself before speedwalking down your street. You turn into your driveway and approach your house. Then Sumo stops. He whines. Then sniffs. Then growls.

Then, the pooch pushes past you and runs into your house, pushing open the door. It wasn't properly closed. You're sure you can remember locking it.

"Sumo!" You cry out, chasing the dog into your house. As you walk into your home, you hear a yelp and a thud. "Sumo!" You yell again. 

You want to run for it but you can't leave Sumo. You walk into the living room where the sound came from and you're instantly greeted by Sumo as the other end of the room, lying down on his side with a tranquillizer sticking out of his neck.

As if on an instinct, You rush over to the dog's body and see if he's okay. He's breathing fine. He looks as if he's asleep. You're crouched down over the dog, heart racing when the door slams behind you and you jump up with fright, your heart pounding so hard you think you might have a heart attack.

Behind the door is a man in a hood which covers up most of his face. You can't see who it is.

"What did you do to him?!" You ask, your voice shaky.

You hear a familiar chuckle. "He'll be alright. He just needs to sleep for a few hours."

The man pushes off his hood and you see a face you really hoped you wouldn't.

Sydney Hector. Sid. Those empty, beady blue eyes almost glow sinisterly against the paleness of his skin and the blackness of his hair and clothes. His face is thin and his eyes are sunken, he looks years older than what he actually is. He has messy stubble along his jaw and chin and above his lip and his usually pushed back hair is sticking out in all directions, making him look insane.

He IS insane...

Sid takes a step towards you. "Now that sticking out of your little friend's neck was supposed to be for you." He says, gesturing to Sumo. "It was part of the plan... But... I guess that's just a hurdle we'll have to overcome won't we?" 

Sid starts to roll up his sleeves, revealing his veiny, scarred arms. Along his forearms are cuts and scars of all different varies. Long ones, short ones, deep ones, wide ones and lots of holes, presumably from different needles. He looks mutilated.

He cracks his knuckles and begins to walk towards you. "Guess I'll have to put you out the old fashioned way."

You realise what this means. He's going to knock you out. He's going to swing for you. You see it. You duck, covering your head and he misses. But before you can stand back up again, you feel his hands cup your head and he lifts it up before crashing your face down onto his knee. You see a flash of white and your face starts aching terribly. It hurts most just above your nose and between your eyes. That hit is definitely gonna give you a couple of bruised eyes.

You fall to the floor in pain and look up at the ceiling. Your heart is racing and you feel tears spike your eyes. Sid walks over to you and stands above you. He raises his foot above your head and you can see the bottom of his shoe. He crashes it down and you roll out of the way just in time. Quickly, you scramble to your feet and run for the door. You open it and try to run somewhere. Anywhere. But before you can do anything, Sid has his arms around you and he lifts you up as if you're a teddy bear. You scream and kick about, trying to get him to let go of you but his grip doesn't loosen. You do the first thing that comes to mind. You slam your head backwards, headbutting him square in the face and he lets go, stumbling back in pain. 

"Argh, you fucking bitch!" He yells. You run, almost making it to the front door before Sid puts a firm, hot grip on your shoulder and turns you around to face him. He punches you square in the face and your head jerks backwards. Your nose begins to throb and you feel blood begin to trickle down your lip, the metallic taste confirming the fact that Sid just popped your nose. He pushes you up against the half painted wall and you remember Connor. You can't leave him. You can't let Sid kill you. Does he want to kill you? What's he going to do with you? You try to escape but you're weak. Weak and in pain. 

He pulls his fist back again. 

"Please..." You beg. "Please just stop." As you speak, the blood from your nose trickles into your mouth.

He lands the punch square in your face. You feel dizzy. Your vision becomes blurred and the room starts to spin. You don't even see Sid pull his fist back to punch you again. But you feel it. And then you see blackness.