Chapter 5

I stood in the hallway outside what I just got used to feeling was my bedroom, and I stared down at the object Elrond was holding out to me. I was unsure if the sword was even meant for me; I really didn't know what to say.

"This is Hathellas; may it serve you well. Consider it a gift from Rivendell." Elrond smiled.

I reached out to take the sword which was lighter than it looked, it was very different from the Sword of Gryffindor.

"Why are you giving me a sword as a gift?" I ask.

I was used to my only weapon being my wand after all. I slowly pulled it from the black leather casing. It was long and broad, as I inspected it I noticed just how thin the blade is, and how elegantly it is shaped. The silver metal gleamed in the light, showing tiny words etched in elvish; they spelled out the swords name in an elegant script. The 'T-shaped' hilt was wrapped in an emerald cloth with small dark red agate stones embedded along the guard. The grip seemed as though it was made just for me. The sword came to a strange point, shaped similarly to that of a leaf. I was amazed at the quality and beauty of the sword and reverently sheathed it back in its scabbard. As I looked up, I see Elrond watching my inspection of his generous gift.

"I have foreseen trouble on the road ahead Harry, it will be a long journey, and this sword is elven made. It glows blue when orcs are near, and it will serve you well, it will not break so easily."

"Thank you, Lord Elrond. This is a generous gift, and I accept it gladly. I can promise you it will not leave my side." I gave a bow of my head, "if there was nothing else I believe it is time to meet the others at the entrance."

"You are most welcome. I wish you a safe journey and may the Valar protect you." Elrond finished.

I shift the pack that had been made for me; I now had a good supply of clothes and rations, and I strap the holster around my waist. Then I make my way to the others; we were about to set off on our quest. By the time I got there, everyone else had already arrived.

"I apologise for being late; Lord Elrond had something for me." I nod to my new companions, or was it a fellowship they called it?

"Nevermind, you are here now, we weren't waiting too long," Gandalf spoke almost curtly, but there was no real anger there. "It is important to remember that this is a quest of haste and secrecy, and now if everyone is ready I believe we should begin our quest of the Ring; Frodo, after you."

Frodo looked a little unsure as he walked out of the great entrance of Rivendell. Gandalf was behind with a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Mordor, Gandalf? Is it left or right?" Frodo asked unsurely.

"Left." Gandalf steered the little Hobbit with a gentle hand.

Everyone followed close behind. I could feel the harsh glare from the rude male, Boromir - if I remember rightly, his distaste was evident though it was easy to ignore.

"Introductions! Since our strange new companion doesn't know who everyone is yet. I can start; my name is Gandalf the Gray, and I am one of the Istari." Gandalf said eying other companions to follow suit.

"Harry and I had already met, but I am from Mirkwood, the realm of the woodland elves." Legolas smiled at me, his tone gentle. I returned the smile, wondering where Mirkwood was. Gimli spoke up next.

"I am Gimli, son of Glóin, a dwarf warrior of Erebor!" Gimli's voice is gruff but confident, and his long red beard twitched with each word.

"Boromir, son of Denethor, Lord of the City of Gondor." He spoke with an air of arrogance that put me off right away.