Chapter seven

The flight of stairs that Gandalf led us down seemed endless until they finally leveled out to flat ground. We had been walking for two hours, the dark corridor never changing. I held back from the group, Legolas two steps ahead. I could tell he was aware of everyone around him.

'I'm a little relieved he's sticking close by; it seems I find it easier to be near him than any of the others. With them, it's more awkward, tense and I don't know how to act around them; it's like they think I'm going to suddenly attack them. With Legolas it's effortless.'

"Harry?" Frodo fell into step beside me.

"Yes, Frodo?"

"Thank you, for helping you know, with the squid," Frodo said, eyes flitting around nervously.

"You're welcome," I smiled at the nervous Hobbit, who returned an uneasy smile, then caught back up with his friends. And I guess this proves my point about the others.

We stopped sometime later, planning to rest for a few hours.

"I can take first watch," I offered, no one argued with the idea. We finished getting food out. It was silently agreed that there wouldn't be a fire - it's too dangerous - enemies were lying in wait.

Once we got settled, Legolas sat closer to me than usual, at first I am able to relax, feeling his presence wash over me like a soothing blanket. Then I feel an unsettling presence weighing on me, overcoming Legolas' own with darkness. It was too far away to identify, but I could tell it wasn't good. This new information put me on edge, Legolas also tensed in response to my uneasiness. Until a bright light obscured my vision and I knew I would be speaking with Eru; Lord of the Valar.

"Eru," I spoke softly, the visit was unexpected.

"Hello again, Harry Potter. You have questions?" The Lord of the Valar asked calmly, though I felt it was obvious he already knew the answer. I decide to answer him, regardless.

"Yes, it's about my ability to read and speak elvish. You said I would only know the language of Westron?" the confusion I felt bled into my voice, I didn't bother to try and mask it.

"After some debate, it was decided that you needed to know elvish. We have seen much in your future to do with the Elven race."

"Okay, but why?" I asked, still confused but suspicious now as well - I am all too familiar with the idea of wiser beings and their hidden motives.

"I cannot be specific. I can only say it will make some things easier in the future." He replied.

Again I am frustrated. It reminds me of some of the more negative aspects of my relationship with Albus Dumbledore. I loved the wizard, but I am sick of being kept in the dark.

"You need to tell me something," I demanded, but my tone still soft.

"I believe it will aid your more important relationships. It is best to cut this short, as your companions are getting worried. Until next time, Harry." Eru finished vaguely, though I feel more satisfied with the little explanation he gave.

I blinked a few times and found myself back in the dark corridor with the others, feeling more than a little awkward. All of them were staring at me; Legolas had moved closer to me and placed his hand on my arm, probably at some point when I was engaged in conversation with the deity.

"Erm - sorry, did I miss something?" I asked fumblingly.

"Your expression became so vacant and then you wouldn't respond. We were worried for you, Harry," Aragorn said with a concerned expression, his face was warm and his tone caring.