Cookies and Homecoming

A few days had passed after that... eventful talk show episode and you barely had enough time to worry about what you were going to next, let alone wonder what Tom may have been feeling. The reality of press tours as told by your co-stars began to make sense over the next few days. You were surrounded by people 24/7, cameras flashing in your face, every one of your moves under complete scrutiny by the paparazzi and the public, as well as your fans. Your publicists were almost pulling the strings on you, telling you where to be, what to wear, what to say, how to smile, how to sit, how to thank hosts, fans and paparazzi with as much enthusiasm as you initially started with. Your energy reserves were low and as ungrateful you did sound, you truly were so glad to be able to have this opportunity in the first place.

But that's not to say that you weren't glad to be home. With the movie being out and the press tour finally finished, you were able to have the next few months off, to relax, unwind and spend time with friends and family. Which is what you were doing with your childhood best friend at the moment. She wasn't the first person to hear about your colossal public trip-up with Tom but she was the first person that you were able to tell the whole story to, without any bias or judgement. The two of you were lounging at her house, Sophie sitting on the sofa with her dog napping on her lap while you paced in front of her, running your hands through your hair. The topic hadn't led to Tom straight away, but every now and then when you had a spare moment, your mind would stray to how he had leaned in so close to you on that couch, his fingers just barely ghosting over yours, breath tickling your ear. You must have looked so...inexperienced in the game when you just sat there stunned.

"The thing is though, I didn't mind it one bit!" you exclaimed frustratedly. "Y'know, I go on about this thing where I'm so anti-guys-coming-on-to-you, especially when you don't want them to or in situations where it's not welcome, and as soon as a vaguely good-looking British homeboy is near me, I turn into an unresponsive piece of jelly!! What kind of message does that send out? God, I'm such a hypocrite, I feel like such a fraud, Soph!"

"...vaguely good-looking?" Your best friend, Sophie looks at you knowingly.

"Really? That's all you get from my rant?" You stop pacing and look at her incredulously. All she does is throw up her arms in defence and say,

"Hey look, I'm not the one who spends almost all of her spare time daydreaming of what it would be like to try the upside-down kiss with Spider-Ma- HEY!" she's interrupted by you throwing the nearest cushion at her full-speed.

"I don't daydream about it whenever I'm free." you mutter the last part under your breath.

More like half the time you were awake.

"Have you ever thought that the only reason you acted like that was because you like him too???" Sophie says deadpanned.

"It's a celebrity crush, Soph, not an actual romantic crush"

"Seems about the same in my book"

"So much for having a good game, I acted like that time I was in high school and Mark asked me to prom, do you remember?" you crack a smile

"Oh my god, yes you just stood there looking like a goldfish!" Sophie cracks up, you flopping next to her on the sofa. Al, Sophie's dog whines as he wakes up to you practically jumping on top of him and hops off Sophie's lap and pads to god knows where.

"Hmm, it's a pity he cheated on you a couple months later. Look where you are now" she says a few moments later.

"That is true" you muse.

"Soph, what would you have done in my position?"

"If this is about Spidey-boy again, I'm going to throw this cake batter all over your face" she warns.