Mocha Colored Skin

Her skin is the color of Mocha, with eyes as black as ebony.

February 4, 2018
Vinzons Hall
U.P. Diliman

I always wondered if it would be possible to be close to her, the first time I have seen her, she was a UP Law student, we were orgmates. She was a facilitator of one of the talks we held that day, about journalism. While I taught Filipino Folk Music and the beauty of Music. We were gearing up to overthrow the current regimen, to instill with our fellow students the ideas of what our forefathers once experienced. That we should never go back, never allow the country to fall back into that loop.

She is the feisty, editor-in-chief of our School's Paper, The Philippine Collegian. She was a tanned goddess, her smile is what reeled me in. Mostly though, it's her ideologies and beliefs that got me right where it hits. She doesn't take things sitting down, her morals couldn't be swayed. Her skin is the color Mocha, actually caramel on most days. Her eyes are a pool of dark black orbs, it holds me against my own will. Her name is Denise Jopson.

I am Humaling Cruz, family and friends call me Maling. I know, my name is really silly. Both of my parents were crazy for each other, but their common ground is their love of freedom and love of this country. Humaling is a Tagalog word which meant extreme fondness. My Dad was very fond of me, the moment he found out that my Mother was pregnant with me, he never stopped caring for me and my mom. Thus the name Humaling.

It was our break. Everyone dispersed with their own cliques while I was left seated at a corner, strumming my guitar and humming to myself. I looked at the Goddess who is now busy with her friends. She was so damn beautiful. After a few minutes, I decided to get my free snack at the booth, right when I was reaching for a sandwich, I felt another hand reach for it.

I was caught off guard, once I heard her say.

"Oops, I'm sorry. Here, you can have this." She smiled at me and I was out of it. She was breath taking up close. She was handing me the Sandwich I was reaching for a moment ago.

I still haven't said a word when she speaks again.

"Uhm, Hi. I said you can take this." She smiles yet again.

I was pulled out of my daydreams when her brows furrowed at me.

"Oh, no. You can take that. I'll just get another one." I politely declined.

"Thank you. I'm Denise. Denise Jopson and you are?" She asked me.

"Maling. Humaling Cruz." I said to her shyly.

"Hmmm.. Maling, parang yung luncheon meat?" She chuckled lightly.

"Uhm.. Yeah." I just nodded.

"Great, I'll see you around, Maling." She says as she walked away still chuckling. 

Her friends gathered around immediately, laughing and teasing her. She stole a glance and smiled at me. That is the first of many instances of why I fell in love with her. The seminars resumed. It was a long day of discussions, maagang natapos ang session ko. I sat under the tree, waiting for the other officers ng org namin, may meeting kasi kami after. I strummed my guitar as I waited for the others to get done with their sessions, hindi ko namalayang katabi ko na pala si Denise. Nagulat na lang ako nang magsalita ito bigla.