p.r.o.m. | fluff

u r s u l a .

The seventeenth of May is a popular date for all residents of Windwood County, despite variations. Adults can recall said date with spectacular memories, and teenagers hopeful to craft some of their own.

When one is an introverted anti-social bookworm, like me, you don't go out much. People like me don't even fantasize of the seventeenth of May. The date never faxed me, for I have no one to enjoy the day with. Additionally, it's not as if anyone is interested in spending time with the likes of me.

I inhale sharply, gathering bitter courage to enter the hellhole that is high school. I clutch onto my torso, digging my nails into the Hot Topic hoodie I'm wearing and trudge in the corridor. I make my way to my locker, noticing another person standing by my entitled space.

I avert my eyes to the side, my gaze dancing across the walls as long as it doesn't land on the student at my locker. I snatch a glimpse at the stranger from my peripheral vision and I watch as they spot me, then walking towards me.

Why would anyone walk to me, especially such an unfamiliar face? Maybe they're lost and don't know who they're talking to. I'm forced to turn around when the call my name; it's only polite.

"Excuse me, but I'm new here and I believe you're suppose to give me the tour around the school?" the stranger says as I blankly stare at them. So that's what I forgot to do today! I've just been so busy with my studying.

"Um, yeah, I just forgot. I've been so busy lately," I avoid his eyes, fiddling with my thumbs.

"Oh, where are my manners! My name's Winston, and I'm from New Zealand," Winston says with a smile.

"Oh, cool. I've always wanted to go to New Zealand. My name is Ursula, as you already know, and I'm from Canada, which just happens to be our current location," I introduce myself, smiling. Gosh, I'm terrible at introductions. I catch myself in the midst of a panicky trance, snapping myself out of it and instead observing the man before my eyes.

He's around six foot and has natural ginger hair, porcelain skin with dashing fawn eyes. He's somewhat ripped and definitely is out of my league. If it weren't for school policy, he'd definitely be elsewhere with someone more significant than myself. I begun to blush as I realize I've been staring at him, and he smiles in amusement. I clear my throat to break the tension as an attempt to alter the course of this conversation.

"So,what's this I hear about prom?" Winston inquires, his accent now clear to me.

For some reason I never fully acknowledge someone's accent unless they mention it or it's really obvious. Weird.

"Yeah it's in exactly a week," I explain awkwardly.

"Has anyone asked you?" Winston cocks his head sideways as we walk down the hall.

"N-No," I stutter as I turn red.

"How come? Someone as pretty as you should have mates lining up for you," Winston shrugs as I blush. I'm just your average blonde-with-silver eyes and I'm around 5'2", sun-kissed skin and always wearing black broad glasses.

"I-I'm not pretty. I'm just very anti-social," I stutter

"So that explains it," Winston snaps his fingers with a cheeky smile on his face as if he's plotting his next move. Or maybe I watch too much role plays on youtube..

***

The Next Day...

As I walk down the empty halls of the school I begin to ponder where Winston has been all this time. I mean he's new, so I thought he would be in class, but no one has seen him for the past 24 hours, which is odd.

I mean, at first I thought he was avoiding me, but maybe he transferred after meeting me, and I don't really blame him, I'm that awkward. Before I know it, I hear loud drums and trumpets from the entrance of the school.

Curious as to what the heck was going on, I followed the ridiculously loud ruckus. I then see this humongous poster stating "Will you go to prom with me?" and I think it's was the cheesiest thing ever and wait to see who was the lucky girl, until I notice everyone staring at me.

Then, I see another poster that states "Ursula, even though I had just met you, I would like to go to prom with you for being my friend for the day. I knew deep down you wanted to go with someone so I wanted to grant you're wish and make it come true. You are my P.R.O.M.; pretty, rad, optimistic, and mate," and after blankly staring at the posters, I run up to Winston who is in a tux and hug him tightly.

"Thank you, mate," I giggle softly.

"You're welcome, Ursula," he embraces me, too.

*•*

oop just edited this 8/9/19