Chapter Ten

Nite dragged the poles to the center of the deck from their storage place in the stern and called out to the group, "Come claim your hammock poles. I don't care where you sleep, so long as you don't destroy anything. Bigger the person, bigger the pole to support the weight." She began passing out the supplies to everyone. "Just put them in the holes. Make sure to find the hole that is the same size as your pole. I'll come around and tie up the hammocks for you."

When Nite got to Killer, she stopped. "Um..." she said awkwardly. "I think it might be best if you slept on the ground. I'm sorry."

Killer shrugged. "I'm used to it. I'm not mad." He spoke gruffly, and his voice sounded like that of a dog growling.

She apologized once more before leaving to return the remaining poles. Next, she brought out the thin wooden crate filled with the thin hammock fabric. The first person she brought them to was Cily, who nodded politely.

Nite began tying the hammock, making sure it was low to the ground so that there was less chance of it falling or breaking. As she was doing that, she felt Cily lean down next to her and whisper into her ear, "I'll tell you about the guns later. I'll explain what I can. Don't tell anyone what you saw."

"Thank you," Nite whispered back, avoiding eye contact in hopes of not drawing any attention. She finished tying the hammock and stepped back. "If it ever starts to feel like it's about to give way, just tighten the knots."

"I'm sorry for everything that has happened tonight. Not everyone in my group is as bad as you think."

Nite searched her brown eyes for lies. The only thing that she could find was genuine kindness. 

Cily's expression was not soft, but it was welcoming and honest. The bags under her eyes crinkled as her lips pulled back into a smile. Her eyes were wide and alert, and her bushy eyebrows seemed to constantly be raised. 

Nite wanted to trust her, but couldn't bring herself to. "Have a good night," was all she said.

Next, she went to the scrawny teenage boy. He was too busy rifling through a backpack to pay her any attention. She watched him for a second, expecting him to say something, but he said nothing. She quickly tied his hammock and moved on.

Iphos was next. He eyed the hammock as Nite began tying it. "Is there any way you could lower it just a bit?"

"I'm so sorry," Nite gasped, her cheeks beginning to burn. "We don't usually have people of your stature on board." She began loosening the knots and pulling extra fabric out to allow it to hang lower.

"You're good. Don't feel bad." Iphos stepped up to the hammock and pulled himself on to it. He reclined in it, placing his stubby arms behind his thick, curly hair. "See? It's fine."

"Thanks." Nite bowed her head. "Have a good sleep."

She moved on down the row of hammocks. Next came a woman who had chosen to set up her makeshift bed next to the horses. She was younger, short, and stick thin. Her hair was short and thinning, and the skin on her face was taunt. A purple bruise was beginning to form on her left eye.

"Hello," she whispered to Nite. "Thank you for setting up my bed." She kept her eyes focused on the horses as they walked in circles.

Nite noticed the additional bruises beginning to form along her neck and onto her face. She assumed they were from the street brawl earlier, with this woman being the one she had seen laying on the ground afterwords. Why she had even entered the street fight to begin with, Nite had not the faintest idea.

She quickly finished tying the hammock. She glanced once more at the woman, trying to judge if she would even be able to lift herself into the bed.