Biweekly Torture

Note: 

That's Adam :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiptoeing into the library, I quickly spotted the skyscraper that was Adam. He towered over the other tutors and had to bend ¾ of the way down in order to reach the table when he whispered math hints and To Kill a Mockingbird references into student's ears. He quickly spotted me too, a regular victim of peer mentoring.

"Tristan! I think Danny needs help with Trig," He whispered, patting me on the back and turning back to whoever he had been helping beforehand. I nodded a silent okay and turned to drop my bag behind the librarian's desk. Smoggy incandescent bulbs flickered anxiously from the ceiling, and the smell of books that nobody's opened for decades wafted through the air. Happy Thursday!

Straightening out my gray sweater, I walked back into the center of the library and begun the biweekly torment. The freshman taking Algebra, Seniors failing chemistry, Sophomores assigned to come in by the teachers for alone time. There was no end to the educational struggles people somehow found a way to condemn themselves to. I could be one of them, I thought. Adam startled me out of my mindless thoughts with another pat on the back.

"It's slow today," He whispered, looking into the library. Only six or seven people sat silently -willing death to claim them- today.

"Yeah, there was more last year," I quietly replied.

Adam and I had become friends through the tutoring program, meeting to help the poor souls forced into our hands every other week. Of the few days he changed his shirt, it was always a trademark flannel over a black shirt, tucked into jeans. That was just Adam.

"Yeah, and more guys," he wiggled his eyebrows. Adam was also the only person aware of my sexuality. Gay. Very gay (trademark). He found out early in the year after he had walked in on a (somewhat) steamy makeout session between myself and some guy we'd both tutored in chemistry. He'd just yelled, "Ironic!" and walked away. It didn't even take nonchalant death threats to keep him quiet. Unfortunately for me, not everybody in our small school appreciated ironic situations as much as Adam, so in the closet, I shall remain.

I threw my elbow back into his ribcage, "Quiet!"

"It's a library! Nobody can hear us!" He laughed, "You need to get yourself someone, man. Staking out kids in the library is the least likely way to get a date!"

"Yeah?" I asked, "Which Washington Post article did you read that in?"

"I didn't!" He smiled, "I made it up!"

"You're an idiot! You try being gay at this school, with guys like Gavin Hase running around like they own the damn place."

Gavin Hase was the movie jock everyone expected him to be. Tall, handsome, strong as a bull, and a total jackass. Jackass is probably the nicest word imaginable to use. Other 'Gavin Hase' adjectives include homophobe, bully, monster, living scum, Satan, and -my personal favorite- waste of Earth.

"Seriously man, isn't there that one kid that's like, low-key gay? He's a blond, I helped him with his History homework! Brain?"

"I don't know. Someone around here is bound to be into guys, but they're probably batshit scared to come out too," It was a half-truth, anyone with an IQ over 10 knows that coming out in a town like Tipper, Nevada does nothing but put a target on your back. I lied, though, about not knowing Brian. His name isn't Brian though, it's Brayden Carr. Adam was right, he did tutor Brayden last year. We'd played the game of stolen glances, I'd stare when I didn't think he could see me, and he would nonchalantly return the favor. I wasn't sure if he was gay, maybe bi? Brayden was out of my league though, sporting year-round tan skin, blond hair, and blue eyes that could pierce your skull when he wanted them to. My only indication he didn't hate me was that I never felt his eyes' piercing gaze, his eyes always rested softly upon me. In the rare moments when my green and his blue did cross, it was enthusiastically unconcerned. Shy smiles spread across both our faces and then just as quickly as they had appeared, they faded and left us both contently unsatisfied.

I would have made a move, but when he passed his history final, he never showed up to tutoring again, and I never saw him long enough in the halls to get his number. I wouldn't have had the balls to ask, anyways. I'd rather be single than risk one of Gavin's loons ratting me out. Hase has quite literally put Narnia to shame with the whole ears-in-the-trees bullshit.

"Are you going to the party on Friday?" Adam, obviously noting my reluctance to continue within our current topic, changed the subject.

"Yeah, are you?" I replied, relieved.

"Yeah, Zoe's making me," He laughed. Zoe Andrews was Adam's long-time girlfriend. Not really popular, but she was sweet. The typical brunette, tall and pretty. Sometimes she would bring Adam food while we were tutoring. "Maybe you'll see Brian there!" Adam teased.

"His name is Brayden," I whispered, "And quiet down!"

"Whatever, man. Get his damn number. He was totally into you." With that, Adam walked away from where we were leaning on the librarian's counter and walked to help someone with their homework.

I would never admit it out loud, but I did hope to see Brayden at the party. Everyone had been invited, the chances of him not being there were slim. Maybe I'd grow a pair and get his number? Who knew.

All I could do was wait until Friday.