2 - The Next Morning

My eyes slowly opened, only to see the roof of my Chevy Malibu. Early morning sunlight poured in through the windows. I lifted the seat back up and looked around. I was still parked outside the bar. I grabbed my phone and glanced at the time. 10:00 am. I let my head hit the headrest as I thought about last night. I didn't get totally wasted, so I wasn't really hungover and I could remember the night almost perfectly.

I remembered walking into the bar and realizing how packed it was. I remembered kneeing a man in the crotch after he tried to assault me. Then, I remembered the guy who bought me a drink. Nick. His eyes still mirrored in my head. The way he was just totally ok with the fact that I elbowed him in the face. I smiled as thinking about him.

Just then, my phone pulled me out of my trance. It was Austin.

"Hey there Austin," I said into the phone.

"Hey, babe. How was your first night?" He asked.

"Well, I took a nap, then I got a drink at the bar that I'm parked out front of, almost got assaulted as soon as I walked in-"

"Wait, what?!" He yelled as he cut me off.

"Oh, don't worry I'm fine. I kneed him in the crotch."

"Are you sure you're okay? Who am I kidding, you can kick anybody's ass, of course, you're okay. What else happened?"

"I wasn't the only one who protected me from getting assaulted."

"Ooo, do tell."

"He punched the guy, then I accidentally elbowed him in the face, pretty hard too."

"Wow okay. That's interesting." I could hear him chuckling slightly on the other end.

"Anyways, his name is Nick, he's really nice and funny and-"

"Handsome?" That was always the first thing Austin wanted to know when I met a guy.

"Yes, very handsome." I rolled my eyes at Austin, even if he wasn't with me, he knew.

"Ok good, good. Does he have a friend for me?"

"I don't know, Austin." I said with a sarcastic undertone.

"Okay, nobody needs your sass right now." He laughed. "How was the rest of your night?"

"I slept in my car Austin. So it was fantastic."

"Again with the sass?"

"Yep. Look, Austin, I have to go find a job and an apartment. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay. You got this babe. I believe in you. Call me if anything interesting happens."

"Alright, later Austin. Love you."

"Love you more. Mwah."

I put my phone in my pocket and laid back once again. I knew I had to get a job, but I just didn't want to think about it right now. All I could really think about was food and how hungry I was. I decided to head back into the bar.

I walked in and looked around. It was practically empty, which didn't surprise me considering it was only 10:00 am. "Back already?" I heard a familiar voice say from behind me. I turned around with the slightest smile tugging at my lips. "Hey,"

"What are you doing here at..." He paused to check the time. "Ten 'o' clock in the morning?" We both chuckled. "I need food." I rolled my eyes at myself.

"You came here for food?" He smiled and looked at me. "I think you need a city tour guide or something because you really don't want to order food...here." We laughed again.

"Maybe the friendly neighborhood bartender could give me some advice?" I smiled at him. His eyes widened a little and he started to stutter just a bit.

"Uh, yeah yes, I can, uhm, I can totally give you a, uh, a tour, you know, if you want." I smiled and giggled a little.

"Awesome, that'd be great." He nodded and gave me a weird smile, which made me laugh a bit more. "So, when are you available?" I asked him.

"I'm available now!" He yelled nervously. "Javier watch the bar! You ready?"

My eyes widened and a nervous, yet real, smile grew on my face. "Uhm, yeah, sure."

"Awesome. Let's go."