Chapter Two

Chapter 2 – Four Years Later

Elise's P.O.V

Oh God!

I was running out of time and I knew it, my heart thumping dangerously fast as I hurtled down the corridor, the floor squeaky as my feet pelted against it. I needed out, and fast. I threw myself into an empty room, slamming the door behind me.

Think fast! Think fast! Think fast!

My eyes took on a familiar green glow as I leapt towards a set of drawers, my muscles screaming as I dragged it in front of the doorway, trying to seal myself inside. It wasn't enough, it was never going to be enough, and I knew the doors would be flung open within seconds. I would be swarmed by League agents once again.

I backed myself into a corner, panic surging through every vein as I heard the door rattle, clearly being battered from the other side, voices screaming orders over the noise.

It was only a matter of time.

My eyes glanced towards the window. Then at the door. Then back at the window again.

"You're too smart to think that this door will hold forever," Cate called from the other side of the door way.

I knew what waited for me if that door was opened, I knew what they wanted from me. I wasn't going to be their weapon, I didn't want to fight, I didn't want to be controlled. I wanted, I needed, to be free. The League had picked me up before the camps could get to me, a little over four years ago, when the world as we knew it first started to disintegrate. At first everything seemed peaceful, a rest bite from the fury around us, offering me safety, a chance to protect my little sister.

But something wasn't adding up.

After a while I was split from the others, thrust into training, building me into a machine, into a soldier. I was the only one in my family that wasn't a blue, yet somehow even as a green the Children's League had taken particular interest in me. Something, to them, was different.

"You're too smart to think there's anything left for me here anymore," I yelled back, knowing what needed to happen next.

"Elise! Don't you dare!" Cate called as I backed towards the window as if knowing what I was about to do "Elise! Don't even think about it!"

I picked up a chair and through it against the pane of glass watching it shatter into thousands of fragments.

"Elise! You can't go! It isn't safe!"

The door was almost open and I needed to get out. That was the only thing I knew for certain.

"Yeah well," I laughed coldly "I'll take my chances!"

I threw my legs out of the window and dropped to the roof bellow with a richoeting thud. I jumped from the low roof, grazing my knees a little as a landed, taking off running as soon as my feet hit the floor.

"You don't get it!" I heard Cate scream, appearing at the window, swarmed by League agents "Please! It's you. It's not safe for anybody to be around you!"

What the hell?

I wasn't sticking around to find out why. Before I could even tell my legs to move I was off, as if running was my default setting. I didn't think when I ran, my body just propelled me forwards and my brain eventually caught up with it. I was fast, I was light and agile and I practically cut through the air, but I could hear the sound of yelling behind me, the sound of heavy footprints behind, chasing after me, cussing. I picked up the pace and ignored the stinging of my lungs, even though the pain was begging me to stop.

"SHE CAN'T BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE!" I heard a man scream.

"STOP HER!" yelled another "STOP HER! NO MATTER THE COST!"

I had to make it out, I just needed to get to the woods that were painfully close yet far away. Only one barrier was in my way now. The chain link fence was meters in front of me, and within seconds I found myself climbing it, my hands shaking as I struggled to get a hold of the metal.

Get your shit together Elise! Get it together!

I was about halfway up the fence, the guards gaining distance with every second, when I slipped and fell, falling to a heap on the floor again. I had no time to check my injuries, but knew straight away my ankle was twisted, instead having to force myself back up.

"RELEASE THE DOGS! SUBJECT X CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE!"

Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god.

There were hounds snapping at my heels, their mouths foaming and ridden with teeth that would do unimaginable damage to human flesh. This time if I fell, there would be no getting back up. It was then I knew it. They didn't care if I survived or not, if I was dead or alive. I could not leave.

"Elise! Elise please stop!"

Cate again, but this time I refused to pause. I was at the top, swinging my leg over the barbed wire, careful not to let my pants snag on the spikes.

"CALL IT IN! SOMEBODY CALL IT IN!"

"STOP HER! STOP HER!"
"CODE 0! THIS IS A CODE 0!"

I jumped from the top, relief filling every ounce of every muscle as I sprinted away in the opposite direction. Freedom. I was free. Finally, it was within my grasp. I just had to keep going, I had to be far enough from the camp. I allowed myself to look back for a split second, observing the scene I had left behind me. Sirens, flashing lights, heavily armed agents pacing and screaming, all cramped up against the fence. Dogs snarling, alarms blaring, floodlights beating down on the guards as I put more and more distance between me and the League. Yes, I was safe.

I allowed myself a second to turn, to pause and look at my enemy's enemy, the place that was supposed to be safe but was the furthest thing from it. The whole institute was in pandemonium.

All of this? For one Green?

I allowed myself a second to look at Dr Cate, pushed up against the fence, her head shaking and her eyes brimmed with tears.

I took a stride of confidence, I took a step back towards the League with a cocky arrogance letting them get a good look at me. A smirk plastered on my face, I stuck both my middle fingers in the air.

And that's when the bullets ripped into my chest.

Liam's P.O.V

I swerved the van, leaping from my seat and out of the doors of Black Betty before Chubs could even try to grab me. I tore towards the woods following nothing but a scream. They wouldn't stop, the screams. They just kept going on and on and on and on and my heart sunk further and further and further. My legs wouldn't move fast enough, my heart lungs wouldn't take in enough air. I didn't care what I was running into, I didn't care whether Zu or Chubs were following me, I didn't care if this was elaborate trap trying to lure me in. Because however far away it was, it didn't matter.

Because I hadn't heard that scream in four long painful years.

And I couldn't leave her again.