Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Ruby's P.O.V

I was curled up with Zu resting her head on my chest, watching Liam pace up and down the minivan from a small crack between the seats. He had pulled a bucket beside Elise and sat on it, staring at her for a while, before reaching out for her hand. He'd placed a pair of earphones over her head, attached to a small tape cassette, stroking the back of her hand with his thumb. Liam took a few deep breaths and I couldn't tell which he was more afraid of, her staying unconscious or her waking up.

"Elise," he said, his voice barely audible, pulling the earphones from her gently and just staring. Not at her, he couldn't look at her, but at her hand, still wrapped in his.

I expected him to make some kind of joke about being shot or him coming to the rescue, but he didn't. He just said one word.

"Stay."

The pain in his voice was unmissable, tears welling in his eyes and threatening to spill.

"I know a huge part of your life is forever ruined because of what I did that day and I'm not dumb enough to think that I can fix it..."

He sniffled loudly and brushed a tear harshly from his cheek and placed both hands back on hers.

"... you don't have to forgive me... I just... I-I-I'm sorry."

There was a long pause, filled by heavy breathing and sniffling and sighs and suddenly I felt guilty for listening in. But I couldn't pull myself away.

He nodded at the cassette player and a faint smile flickered across his face.

"Sonata in B minor," he said, and I swear I'd never heard him speak so quietly "I know, you preferred Beethoven... but..."

He took another huge breath.

"We went on a supply run...weeks ago when we first got..."

More breathing.

"When we first got Betty, and somehow I found our neighbourhood..."

Liam was playing with her fingers, distracting himself, refusing to look at her face.

"An-and it was deserted, I mean completely deserted, so while Chubs was getting food I went to your house."

Liam's words were speeding up, merging together as one with panic, still no louder than a whisper.

"And I had to climb up the balcony to get in like I used t-t-to and I totally broke and entered and stole a few photos and I found your Walkman and your earphones and this tape was in it and I-I-I-I didn't dare change it because we taped over one of those songs for a class project and you were laughing Elise and we sounded so damn young and.."

His words were choked by a sob.

"... Happy."

His eyes landed on her face and I watched him crumple in front of me, his hand clamping down on his mouth as he tried to compose himself.

"Y-you 've got maps in your backpack, I've seen them. I don't know where but if you want me to come with you I will, b-b-but these people are my family okay I can't leave them... I'll convince them and we'll all go together. Just don't leave again. You can't leave."

His whole voice was quivering, breaking on certain words.

"I'll do whateveryou want. Anything. Just please stay... You're my homeElise,"