Noah's Girl

Once again we are sitting around our table in the cafeteria. I cant believe how quickly I have integrated into Sam's group. They're by no means the coolest kids in the school, but they're kind and smart and funny, and seem to get along with most people.

Its been a day since I last saw Charlotte in chemistry and her poem is still burning a hole in my pocket. I'd taken it out last night and must've stared at it for at least an hour, studying every word in Charlotte's curling, sweeping cursive.

My thoughts are interrupted as dark skinned, curly-haired girl elbows her way through the crowds, dragging a small, frizzy-headed boy behind her, who looks young enough to be a freshman. The girl's almond eyes are narrowed with a look of steely determination as she heads straight for our table. Emmylou, sensing the commotion, look up and mutters to Noah, "look out, your girl's pissy again."

"Tamara" Noah says, standing up as she gets closer, "what's wrong?" I haven't heard much about Noah's girlfriend, only that she prefers to keep to herself and that despite his indifferent façade, Noah would rather die than let anything happen to her.

"Al's been beating up Max" Tamara rages, pushing the little boy in front of her and gesturing at his blackened eye and a bruise already blossoming on his cheekbone. I figure that Max must be her younger brother, judging from how similar they look.

"Tammy, you know how much I love you, but I cant afford to beat up Al. One more incident and the school will expel me." Noah pulls her closer and wraps his arms around her, drawing in Max too.

"Who's Al?" I quietly ask Emmylou. She glances at me. "Tamara's ex. He's turned nasty and picks on Max to get back at Tamara. He hates her for dumping him. He also happens to be the school bully." I nod absently, my mind whirring. Noah couldn't teach Al a lesson without getting expelled, but there was nothing stopping me. I glance again at the bruises marring the little boys face and feel the familiar burning anger build in my chest.

I stand up. Tamara's eyes flicker to meet mine over Noah's shoulder. "I'll deal with Al" I tell her. She detangles herself from Noahs arms and comes to stand in front of me. "Really?" she asks. I nod. "But I don't even know you."

"That doesn't mean its okay to beat up some little kid" I tell her, about ready to storm off and find Al before my anger boils over. "Wait," I say, turning back to Emmylou. "What does he look like?" she describes him and I turn on my heel. Before I can take a step though I feel a strong hand grip my elbow. I look up into Tamara's dark face. "I'm coming with you," she states. With that we head off, searching through the corridors, to teach a bully that it is not okay to punch someone smaller than yourself.