Chapter 5 - Suspecting Friends

The first month of school passed in an uneven speed. The pile of homework increased as the days went, and if the stress from school wasn't enough, I also had Damon Elster to worry about. I still hadn't talked to him - or even seen a glimpse of him, and it started to stress me out as the man on the other end of the book became more and more impatient. I think the boys started to notice my constant anxiety.

"Caroline, are you alright?" Peter asked one day when we were sitting in the common room. They'd been talking about the Hogsmeade weekend, and I had spaced out as I was thinking about how to get hold of Elster. 

I must've looked apprehensive, because Peter's face was full of concern. I tried to look calm. "I'm fine." That was a lie. "I just haven't slept well lately." That was true.

"You have in fact seemed a little distant lately," said Sirius. "Are you on drugs or something?"

I rolled my eyes and tried to look careless. "No, of course not! If I were, I'd share it with you!" The boys chuckled and I felt like I made a good save.

*

The next Saturday I woke up from the storm raging outside. Heavy raindrops were hitting the dormitory windows, thunder was roaring, and the wind was howling like an angry wolf. I yawned and got up from bed. It was hard to tell how early/late it was from the view out the window, as the sky was dark with clouds and the rain on the windows made it hard to see through. 

A lump appeared in my throat as I put the notebook in my bag. Today would be an important day, and my anxiety level was higher than the Astronomy Tower. My hands were shaking a little, and I did some breathing exercises before I continued doing stuff.

I put on some warm clothes and made my way down to the common room. It was almost empty except the first and second year students and my friends, who seemed to be discussing where to eat lunch in Hogsmeade. The conversation stopped when the saw me.

"Finally," said Remus as I appeared. "We've been waiting for you for an hour."

"You could've woken me up," I said with a sigh. The clock was now half past 12, and I had to be at the Hog's Head in 45 minutes. I started walking towards the portrait hole, but stopped when I noticed they were still sitting in front of the fireplace. "Are you guys coming?" I sounded more impatient than I intended to, and when I looked at their expressions, I immediately regretted the tone in my voice.

"I'm sorry," I said, "but I want to go before the weather becomes even worse." As if it could get any worse.

"Who put rotten eggs in your omelette?" asked James as he came up next to me. 

"No one. I haven't eaten breakfast yet."

James nodded slowly, like he'd figured out something. "Hey guys," he said to Peter, Remus and Sirius, who were right behind us, as we walked down the moving stairs. "I know why Caroline is unusually grumpy. She needs food."

"That's bad," said Sirius, sounding genuinely compassionate. "I don't function at all when I'm hungry. I remember one time in transfiguration when..."

I didn't keep up with the conversation (I only nodded, said 'yes', 'no' or 'exactly' when it was necessary). I wasn't hungry. Nauseous would be the right word to explain my current state. The time until I had to meet up at Hog's Head became shorter and shorter. My eyes were constantly on my wristwatch, and every time the clockwise moved, I felt the knot in my stomach grow a little tighter.

By the time we were outside the school, I felt like I was about to throw up or faint. I had problems with walking in the deep mud, as I felt dizzy and shaky.

"Caroline?!" asked Sirius. He grabbed my shoulder and supported me as I almost fell to my knees. I tried to give him a reply, but my voice didn't function right and my head was pounding like it was about to explode. My eyelids were closed and every raindrop that hit my face felt like a cold needle.