Chapter 7 - Not Alone About It

“Something you want to explain, Foxface?” James wasn’t adverse. He was smiling an easy, almost apologetic smile.

The boys moved aside as I jumped up from the chair. My left foot was still asleep but I walked on it anyways. Suddenly, the common seemed too warm and little for me, and I had to look out of the window. The sun was almost up, colouring the sky in shades of pink and orange.

“You should’ve told us,” said Remus, sounding accusing. Anger boiled up in me. I turned around to face them, my pulse pounding behind my ear.

“I couldn’t,” I snapped. “I couldn’t tell you anything, and if I did… MERLIN HELP ME! I’M PROBABLY GETTING A LOT OF TROUBLE NOW, AND IT’S ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE A BUNCH OF NOSY IDIOTS! EVER HEARD OF PRIVATE LIFE? PROBABLY NOT, BUT IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME. YOU DON’T HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING!”

When I was done yelling, I hitched to get my breath back. The boys looked a little taken aback, but not surprised. 

“Caroline,” said Peter carefully and took a step forwards. I reached for my wand and pointed it towards him. He stopped immediately. 

“Don’t you dare taking another step. I will hex you,” I threatened. Now I wasn’t shouting, but I could hear a razor sharp in my own voice.

“Caroline,” Sirius said calmly. “You can relax. It’s not like we’ll go around and tell people that someone’s threatening your family. We can help you.”

I stood there for a moment, weighing my opportunities. I could forgive them and accept their help, but a little voice in the back of my head whispered that I had to do this alone. (I was probably going mad.) The most tempting opportunity was to run away from the common room, hide in Hogsmeade for a couple of days and avoid them until everything was sorted out. Hm. I could always just kill them and live my life as a lonely fox, but that sounded too lowly and illegal.

“I…” The words got lost on their way out. Remus, James, Peter and Sirius stood there like lit candles, waiting for me to say something or shout something and maybe even hex them. “I couldn’t tell you. What if He found out about it? What would happen then? Maybe he would kill me or you guys or my –our- parents. I couldn’t risk that. Anyways,” I said, wiping away an escaped tear, “you would have been in my way. I had to –err- operate alone. I have to operate alone.”

“But not anymore,” said James with a grin.

“What do you mean?” I asked. Hadn’t I been clear enough?

“Do you really think we’re letting you do this alone?” Sirius chuckled. “You don’t get rid of us that easily. You must snog Snape first, at least.”

“Okay,” I said, getting in a better mood. “If I have to snog him, I’d rather stick with my idiotic friends.”

“Nice choice,” commented James.

I yawned violently. “It was nice yelling at you all, but it’s 6 o’clock and I want one and a half hour of sleep before breakfast.” 

With my uniform still on, I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.

*

As I woke up and sat up in bed, my head was throbbing like someone just had thrown a brick at it. I had trouble putting on my shoes, and my vision felt a little blurry as I hurried down the stairs. 

Only Remus was waiting for me as I entered the common room. We started walking towards the Great Hall for breakfast, and I tried my best to not let the pain make me throw up or pass out or other things that were tempting.