The art of dress-up

Jason stared at his three year old niece, unsure of what to think of his current situation. The young child was covered from head to toe glue, sparkles, and cotton balls.

"What on earth were you trying to do?" Jason asked.

The young girl looked toward her feet.

"I was trying to look like Elsa."

Who's Elsa? Thought Jason. He figured she couldn't be a real person, because, who the heck would put cotton balls and sparkles in their hair? His 10 year old nephew rolled his piercing blue eyes.

"Uh... who is Elsa?"

"Elsa's a character from the movie Frozen uncle Jay." John clarified, turning the page in his book.

Now that Jason thought about it, he did recall seeing a girl with white braided hair on a movie cover. The cotton balls and sparkles in Jaylyn hair must represent the snow. The young girls attempt at a braid was a big tied up mess, that Jason knew would be pretty hard to untangle.

Jason sighed, and instead of scolding the child, he scooped her up and carried her to the bathroom.

He set her in the bathtub and started to comb out the mess with his fingers.

"Do you have a comb?" He asked. The little girl pointed a chubby finger toward a small basket sitting on the counter. He found a small pink comb and started combing out the knots from the bottom upward.

"Your a pain in the a-, butt, you know that?" Jason quickly substituted the word before it left his mouth completely.

Jaylyn looked upset with herself. She only wanted to look like a princess. Jason felt bad that he made the child feel guilty. Jason sensed tears were coming...

"No! Don't cry it's fine. We'll clean you up and then I'll make you look like Edna."

"Elsa." She corrected him. But then her deep blue eyes sparkled with happiness.

"Really? You'll make me look like Elsa!?"

Jason suddenly regretted promising the girl.

"Um, I'll try. I've never really seen her before." Jason tried not to get the little girls hopes up to high. He continued to comb out the knots, now half way done as he poured warm water over her hair, loosening the glue.

Once the mess was gone he wrapped her in a towel and carried her to her room and gave her some clothes.

"Okay, you get dressed, I'll come back when your done." Jaylyn looked confused, but nodded anyway.

About seven minutes later Jason still hadn't seen the young girl come from her room dressed yet.

"Jaylyn? He called from outside her door. You almost done?" When there was no response, he slowly opened the door to reveal Jaylyn struggling to get dressed. She had gotten her pull-up on, but her pants and shirt were more of a challenge. Jason sighed and helped the girl pull the shirt over her head, and the pants over her legs. When she was dressed, she looked up at him expectantly.

"What?" Jason asked.

"Are you gonna make me look like Elsa?" The girl questioned.

"Oh, right." Jason had forgot about that.

Jaylyn promptly shoved a book towards him. Elsa was on the front cover.

"I think your hair is to short Lyn."

Jaylyn let out a whimper.

"Alright, I'll see what I can do..."

About two hours later, Jaylyn walked out of her bedroom with a huge grin on her face, Jason had mad a sloppy braid in her hair, and tied a light blue pillowcase around her waist. A white scarf covered her arms and a few cotton balls were held in her hair with bobby pins.

"Johnny, Johnny! Look! I'm Elsa!" she squeeled with happiness and twirled around infront of her brother.

"Nice." he smiled. "Uncle Jason did a pretty good job."

"It took a lot of youtube videos, but I think she looks okay."

"I think I look bea-u-ti-ful!" Jaylyn stretched out the syllables as she spun in circles on her tippy toes.

Jason gave her a half-hearted smile and crossed his arms as he watched her dance around.

"So, who do you wanna be?" He joked tilting his head toward John.

"Pfft. Superman." He answered honestly. Jason looked over the boy before replying.

"Hmmm. I think we can make it work."

A/N

So yeah this story will be one shots of my characters from the future *si-fi music plays in background* who are related to the members of the batfamily and such. This chapter is about Jason babysitting Dick and Barbara's kids, John and Jaylyn. Now I would've named her Mary, after Dicks mother, but I kinda like Mari, even though I'm not a fan of her mother, so Mari exists in the universe. More on that in a future chapter. Anyway thanks for reading, have a great day/night! 😘