Chapter 21

Shadowpaw found himself, embarrassingly enough, not for the first time that day, staring at Tawnypaw.

He was horrified when he realized that he wasn't just staring at her, but he was making silent notes on his observations.

Things like how when she looked at him, she always smiled, things like how thick and soft the fur on her chest looked, things like how her lips moved seldom when she spoke, and how they might be soft and warm to the touch, things like how when she walked, her hips swung side to side slightly.

He felt his face and ears grow warmer and warmer with every thought that crossed his mind.

"Are you okay, Shadowpaw?" Redwhisker meowed. "You're awfully quiet today."

Shadowpaw looked away from Tawnypaw quickly, clearing his throat. His mouth went dry. "Y-yeah. Why?"

Redwhisker's eyes glittered with amusement. "You seem... Distracted."

"Yeah, Shadowpaw." Tawnypaw meowed, walking up to him. "What's up with you?"

Here we go again.. He thought, swallowing hard and trying not to look at her as hard as he could.

"Why aren't you looking at me?" She demanded, narrowing her amber eyes.

Because I don't want to think weird thoughts about you, he thought, chewing at his lip.

"Uhm... I'm just thinking about Snowfall, I guess. She hasn't been getting out and about very much lately," he fibbed.

His mind was too filled with thoughts of Tawnypaw to think of Snowfall right now.

"Aw," Tawnypaw purred teasingly, nudging Shadowpaw's shoulder with her own. "You're so sweet."

"Thanks," he mumbled, trying to forget all of the random thoughts that crowded his mind.

He wondered what it would feel like to just snuggle her.

He mentally face-palmed and kicked himself.

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

He glanced at her to see that she was staring at him, with that crooked smile on her face.

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

"You have a pretty smile," he blurted.

YOU IDIOT! He mentally screamed at himself. WHY DID YOU DO THAT?! YOU ARE SO STUPID! STOP THINKING THAT WAY! SHE IS YOUR FRIEND!

Tawnypaw laughed, her cheeks turning pink. "Thanks,"

"You're welcome," he mumbled, looking away awkwardly.

"Are you two going to stand there, flirting with each other all day or are we going to go hunting?" Darkfur asked, popping up between them.

Shadowpaw jumped. "I wasn't!"

"Sure, sure." Darkfur meowed disbelievingly, walking away from them. "Let's just go."

Are they right? He wondered. If so.. Oh StarClan..

Tawnypaw giggled, bouncing past him, a grin spread across her face.

Shadowpaw smiled. Seems like it made her day, though.