Chapter Three - Revelations

A/N: I'm soooo sorry this chapter will be a filler, but I couldn't fit that much information in just one chapter, so I had to cut it in half. The good news is that I will probably post another one maybe tomorrow!

Chapter Three - Revelations

Octavia brought the truck to a complete halt and Steve sighed as they arrived at the old abandoned military base. "This is it" he announced. Natasha had made clear she wasn't letting go of all the awkwardness surrounding the kiss, as she made inappropriate jokes about it during the entire ride, and even Octavia had to admit that making Steve completely embarrassed was kind of addictive, since he looked freakishly cute.

They walked around the base for a while, Natasha holding the GPS device, trying to pinpoint the exact place where the signal came from "The file came from these coordinates"

"So did I" Steve mumbled, his voice melancholic as he roamed aimlessly "This camp is where I was trained."

Octavia turns back to face him, her voice drawing his head to her "Changed much?"

"A little" Steve simply said, and at that moment Octavia finally saw the super-soldier without his armor. The nostalgia in his voice, his eyes glossy with grief, and a sad smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. The man was a mess of loss and regret. Just like her.

"This is a dead end" Natasha's voice brought them back from the gaze they were lost in "Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

Octavia nodded at the red-haired, but Steve was focused elsewhere, eyes staring at the building ahead of them "What is it?" Octavia asked, as the three walked over towards the building

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks. This building is in the wrong place." Steve commented matter-of-factually. He brought the shield up and slammed it on the lock, shattering it.

The building inside was old, but not as old as the remaining buildings in the camp. It had desks and shelves scattered around the room, all covered in dust and spiderwebs. Steve walked towards the light-switch and turned them on, first flickering and then steadying themselves, one bulb at a time, as few directed to a all, revealing and highlighting a symbol very similar to the one of SHIELD.

Natasha gasped, taken by surprise "This is SHIELD"

"Maybe where it started." Steve said, as they entered a room, where they found old framed portraits of people Octavia knew nothing about, although one of them looked a lot alike Tony, both in looks and the presumptuous smirk.

"There's Stark's father." Natasha confirmed, as Steve added "Howard"

Octavia knew that Steve knew most of the people who founded SHIELD, back in the days "Who's the girl?"

Steve didn't reply, choosing to turn away to walk further down the room, but stopped by a massive book shelf, eyebrow raised with suspicion "If you're already working in a secret office..." he asked, pushing the books shelf and sliding it sideways, opening it "Why do you need to hide the elevator?"

Octavia and Natasha shared a accomplished smile as Steve nodded them to enter the elevator. The elevator went down what seems a few floors, stopping abruptly. The three of them inspected the room. For the looks of it, it was a computerized data-base, but those old looking computers couldn't be the source of the data inside the pen, as Natasha pointed, as she walked around the blocks of old computers "This can't be the data-point, this technology is ancient."

Suddenly Octavia noticed a small hard-drive jack, completely different from the rest of the equipment in both colour and material. She waked closer, noticing the small opening shaped as the flash-drive, which she places in it, activating the ancient computer in the room. The camera above the monitor came to life, raising and switching in between the three faces as they stood now by Octavia's side, and the black screen lights up in green, showing the message: Initiate system?

Octavia moved her fingers over the keyboard as she typed "Y-E-S, spells yes"she smiled proudly as the old computer started to cranked up, and Natasha took advantage of the stilled moment to come up with a joke "Shall we play a game?"

Both Steve and Octavia turned to her, and Natasha felt the necessity to explain herself "It's from a movie that-"

"Yeah, I saw it." Steve and Octavia said at the same time, smiling at each other, since they had seen the movie together recently in one of Raven's movie nights.

Suddenly the screen flickered, and a shape of a face appears, followed by an accented voice, as the old camera moved above them, as it analyzes each one carefully "Rogers, Steven. Born, 1918. Blake, Octavia. Born 1989. Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born, 1984."

Octavia felt as if the voice was familiar, but she shrugged away the feeling "It's some kind of a recording."

"I am not a recording, Fräulein. I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945, but I am." the voice grunted, as the computer screen showed an old photo

"Do you know this thing?" Natasha asked directly to Steve

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years."

Octavia froze at the mention of the name. She might had never seen the man before, but she had heard the name through some HYDRA'S personnel back at the Ark, and she had definitely talked to that voice before, as he was a crucial piece in the making of Bloodreina.

Octavia was so lost in her thoughts, that only when Natasha spoke she was able to focused again on the present matters.

"That's impossible, SHIELD would have stopped you."

"Accidents will happen." Dr. Zola said, as the screen showed them various newspaper headings, deaths HYDRA had arranged, but the ones that caught Octavia's eye was Howard and Maria Stark, Tony's parents, who apparently had died in a car accident, was followed by a blurry photo of a security camera at the scene of the crime, a photo that showed a man with a metal arm, Bloodreina's mentor "HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once the purification process is complete, HYDRA's new world order will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your Life; a zero sum."

When Octavia joined SHIELD, with her she brought the news that HYDRA wasn't entirely gone, as she had lived all her life as one of their experiments, but following the destruction of the Ark, and the lack of retaliation afterwards, she had actually believed they had ended what it seemed to be the last remainder of HYDRA's headquarters.

She looked up towards Steve, who suddenly punched the computer screen, smashing it. As soon as the main monitor was down, the one at its left flickered on, and the voice of Dr. Zola was back "As I was saying..."

"What's on this drive?" Steve demanded

"Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm."

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Octavia asked, more impatiently than Steve

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it." as soon as he finished talking the doors started to close, and although Steve tried to stop it by throwing his shield in between it, he was too late, and the shield hit the metal and bounced back to him.

Natasha device started ringing, alerting them to incoming danger "Steve, we got a bogey. Short range ballistic. 30 seconds tops."

"Who fired it?"

"S.H.I.E.L.D."

Octavia didn't wait to listen to whatever the doctor had to say, as she analyzed the room for a way to cover from the blast, which came in the form of a not-that-big-of-a shaft. She called both Steve and Natasha as she threw the metal grate aside, jumping in immediately, and Steve followed. Natasha retrieved the flash-drive and jumped in too, allowing Steve to bring his shield up just in time to protect their heads from the rubble that felt just as the missile hit the building.