Rewrite the Stars

You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
I know you want me
So don't keep saying our hands are tied

"C'mon Lo, spit it out already!" The smaller Latina says in exasperation. The taller one had been dancing around her confession for a long time, though everyone knew what it was. She just needed to admit it out loud.

"I...I like you. Like, really really like you. I want to be with you, and hold you, and have an actual relationship with you. Not whatever this 'thing' we have. I want something real. And I know you want it too." Lauren took a deep breath after speaking to try and maintain her composure. The younger girl remained silent for a moment before speaking.

You claim it's not in the cards
Fate is pulling you miles away
And out of reach from me

"Laur...You know why we can't do this. You of all people should know." Camila took a step towards her cautiously, speaking softly. "We have this amazing connection, there's absolutely no hiding that, but we both know we can't be more than what we are now. It's not meant to be."

Lauren refused to look at the smaller brunette, refused to believe what she was hearing from her mouth. All this time and Camila is saying it's not supposed to happen.

But you're here in my heart
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

Lauren set her jaw firmly. "No." Camila looked confused. "No?" Lauren repeated herself, "No." Stepping right up to Camila, she continued, "We both know we're capable of denying what we have, but we won't. Or, at least I won't. You may say it's not our "fate" to be together. But I disagree. I say that us meeting the way we met, winding up in the situation we did, having the connection we have, I say there's no way that's not destiny."

What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
Nothing could keep us apart
You'd be the one I was meant to find

Camila looked as if she wanted to speak, but Lauren pressed on.

"Even if it's not "destiny" or "fate" as people see it, I say screw them. Screw all the close minded people, screw those who think we weren't made for each other. We've already been through hell and back as friends, or whatever we are. We're meant for each other and we both know we found each other because of that."

It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one can say what we get to be
So why don't we rewrite the stars?
Maybe the world could be ours tonight

"It's up to us to show them that what we have, can't be undone because someone or something decides it's not our 'fate'. That it's not 'written in the stars' or some other bull. Let's defy the stars, together. Let's show everyone we don't need the stars in the sky to tell us that you and I are capable of making the world ours. We can accomplish anything together. Don't you see that?" Lauren finally drew to a close. She was looking at Camila, waiting for any movement. She could practically hear the gears turning in Camila's head.

Finally, taking a step back and running her hand through her hair, she sighed frustratedly.

You think it's easy
You think I don't want to run to you
But there are mountains
And there are doors that we can't walk through

"Do you think I'm enjoying this?" Camila eventually said. "Do you think this is any easier for me than it is for you? That I want to go to someone else when I have something to share? It's not that simple. There are all these obstacles in between us that apparently only I can see."

I know you're wondering why
Because we're able to be
Just you and me
Within these walls
But when we go outside
You're going to wake up and see that it was hopeless after all