Part XXVI

The eyes of his peers had begun to feel heavy upon him, but it was quickly replaced by something else

The eyes of his peers had begun to feel heavy upon him, but it was quickly replaced by something else. Something like hope. For if all of Ethis thought her slain then were he to untangle himself from this, then he would not have to give her up... Then, quickly, something like shame washed over him.

Fara's brother thought her dead? Her people thought her dead? Slaughtered by his hand. 

He glanced at Elyon who was watching him closely.  Did he suspect that the female he took from Azura was the princess? If he did then his face did not reveal it.

'We slaughter queens and princesses now do we?' Orrin asked sharply.

'Perhaps I should add war crimes to our charge list?' Paeris suggested.

'Well, have you nought to say??'

Theodan turned to look scathingly at Orrin. He ignored Paeris entirely. 'What would you like me to say, Orrin? Something incriminating I presume?'

'Then you refute the King of Calate's claim?'

'Of course, I refute it!' He bellowed. He turned to fix the council with a serious stare. 'The prince was ended by my blade, as the war logs will show,' Theodan said. 'But the princess was not captured by me or my men in the palace.' He kept his eyes impassive. It was mostly truth, with a smattering of falsehood.  'The Queen was waiting for us in her summer gardens and delivered alive to Torrik. If she is dead now then it is by his hand not mine.' Only half of the members looked convinced. 

'I fought side by side with the commander when we took the Golden Palace,' Elyon added, standing a little taller.  'The princess was not inside.'

'And the queen?' Orrin asked. 'She was delivered as Theodan states? Alive and well?'

'My word is worthless I see....' Theodan shook his head.

'Need I remind you that you are on trial for crimes punishable by banishment? Yes, Theodan, your word has devalued somewhat given the circumstance.' Orrin's reply was sharp.

'So then my trial has already begun?' He snapped, sarcastically. 'With so little ceremony or fanfare?'

'The queen was removed to King Torrik unharmed,' Elyon diffused, giving Theodan a brief sideways look. 'At the tribe assembly the king made jokes of his men using her ill - so if these reports are true, council, then Theodan - and indeed no other soldier of Leoth - played any part in her death.'

No one spoke for a moment, before Orrin nodded, seemingly content with Elyon's affirmation.

'Council, given the constraint of time now placed upon us by the untimely Calate declaration, I suggest we move swiftly to trial,' Orrin said.

Theodan noted that Caera, Narila, Xanthus, and Seren were the only ones not to nod their agreement to proceed, but neither did they refuse to take their seats when Orrin bid them do so.