Part XXVIII

'The Dark One thanks you for your truth, Theodan of Teredia

'The Dark One thanks you for your truth, Theodan of Teredia.' Orrin said.  'The council will take account of it in the passing of His sentence.'

Theodan was barely listening now, his mind already ten paces ahead; focused on what he would need to do after they pronounced his guilt. Steps that would ensure Fara's safety and avert war on Leoth's shores.  And if Calate still sought vengeance, if war could not be prevented, well then they could not stop him fighting for his realm. He would do so under helmet and armour if he must. Should he be exiled he knew every place where one could re-enter the realm undetected. His men would know him on the battlefield, of course, but there would be no way for his enemies to challenge him during the fight. He would not abandon his men or his people when they needed him most. 

He looked at his friend, who sat sullen and silent a short distance away. He would need all the friends he could muster to get Fara out of Leoth. Elyon was loyal to Leoth, but he was also loyal to Theodan - would he defy his realm to help him now? He'd need Draden too. And Vala.  And he needed Mor to care for Jhaan when he was returned from Azura, Jhaan whom he knew would stand with him now were he able. He sent a silent prayer upward. Let him live, Dark One, I plead you let him live. Punish him not for my disloyalty. 

'We will now hear testimonies for the accused,' Orrin proclaimed. Elyon stood immediately and strode with purpose to the centre of the great room.  'State your name, soldier.'

'Elyon of Lethane.' He was proud and defiant in his address.

'Accused,' Orrin addressed Theodan now.  'Do you accept the testimony of this citizen, and swear that it is given freely to the court and without restitution.'

He looked at Elyon, grateful. 'I do.'

'Very well. Elyon of Lethane, what is your knowledge of the charges this court has brought against Theodan of Teredia?'

'The Commander is not guilty of any crime,' Elyon said, his voice unequivocal. 'He has demonstrated nothing but valour and honour in the discharge of his duty, and is a faithful and devoted servant of Leoth.'

Guilt pecked at him. A bird's beak tapping against the soft earth. Charming his doubts from beneath the surface as they might a worm beneath it. He was not so loyal. Not so faithful.. tap tap tap.

'Touching Elyon.' Sapphira was the one to break the silence. 'Tell us, when is the mating ceremony? You make such a handsome coupling...' Her eyes glinted with mischief as she looked between the two males. He saw Elyon harden with impatience. 'But I do not understand how it is possible that your commander is guilty of nothing when he himself has admitted breaking Plenary Law. Do you care to enlighten us?'

Elyon's voice was controlled in its reply. 'Did he not himself also state that the dark one bid him keep the female safe? Not twenty moons ago we stood in this chamber and judged Theodan for refusing to follow The Dark One's path to lead the war on Azura - now you would see him condemned for doing the same? For following our God's instruction?'