Part XXXVI

They would send for her

They would send for her. In fact, he was surprised they had not done so already. Had the High Visier a hand in it? Was she the reason Fara still walked freely around Teredia? He knew not why, but he was convinced she had ensured he walked free from the court of the moon.

An echo of loyalty to his mother perhaps? They were both of the twelve, had both been primed for succession before Ishilde's fall from glory. Or could it be that the Dark One had desired him free? Had wanted him here by Fara's side to protect her still. He knew nothing. He was but a small piece to be moved in the great game of the fates.

What he did know was that the appearance of Panos of Calate on Leoth changed everything.

What terms he would put before the council did not matter - for Leoth would not accept them. Leoth would not accept any terms from any realm who had declared war upon them.

Panos of Calate would be executed and sent back to Calate in pieces a martyr to his realm's cause. Could he stand idly by and watch Fara's heartbreak once more? He had taken her husband and her beloved Azura and now his realm would take her brother from her too.

He recalled the look of loathing in the Calatian's eyes. How desperately Fara's brother had longed to reach through the bars and tear him apart for taking her life. Her brother was brave. A trait she shared.

But Panos of Calate's bravery would mean nothing before the court of the moon.

If he could speak with the Gods then he might congratulate them for their intricate hand. To gift her to him, this female, only to ensure by every strand of circumstance that she would never be his.

Yes. Their hand in this was exemplar from whichever angle one stood.

He caught the scent before the knock on his chamber door came.

'Come in, Elyon.'

Elyon carried a small kvarvhi of wine, the stopper pulled from it already. After taking a generous mouthful he handed the jug to Theodan as he took a seat across from him.

'It is done?' Theodan asked.

Elyon nodded. 'He will be taken to The Balck Rock. Clearly the council plan to make him wait.'

Theodan frowned. 'Why?'

'They wish to leave him cold and starving on the mountain to test his character?' Elyon shrugged.

He had expected them to hear Calate's terms immediately. What was there to be gained in waiting? Though he supposed it bought him some time.

'He said nothing more on the journey?' Theodan asked as he drank.

'Not a word.'

'And he knows nothing? Of her?'

'He still thinks you tore out her throat and feasted on her sweet Calatian blood,' sighed Elyon. 'He will at least have his fury to keep him warm.'  Theodan gave him a withering look as he handed the wine back. 'You have not yet told her?' Elyon asked.