Chapter One

"He's so cute though."

You scoff, rolling your eyes. "Meg, you think every guy is cute."

"Do not!" Meg protested.

Meg, short for Megan, was your best friend. She was a bit short, with wavy shoulder length black hair and dark brown eyes.

She was small but she sure was one firecracker.

You met her in the first grade, when she punched a fellow male student who kept pulling on your pony tail when you wouldn't acknowledge him.

Since then you've been the best of friends.

You shake your head, "Do too. You're always swooning over the celebrities."

She smiles, swinging her legs under the table. "It's not my fault they're cute. And it's only like, a few."

You smile briefly at her admission. You place your chin on your hand, scanning the field until your eyes land on a certain boy ready to bat.

Benny Rodriguez.

When his bat makes contact with the ball, he was off. Children from the sidelines are cheering as Benny ran the bases. That was until he landed himself in a pickle.

Benny's friends ran to the field as Benny kept running in between the third and home base, trying to not get caught.

He was quick though, running the rest of the way to home base.

"[Name]!"

"Hmm? What?" You ask, tearing your gaze away to look at Meg.

"Gosh, I said your name like three times." She shakes her head, but a smile suddenly appears. "You got it bad."

"Do not!" You deny.

"Do to," she nods her head, still holding her amusement smile. "The moment you see him, you're gone. I can't blame you though, he's really cute."

"See, this is what I was talking about," you place your palms outwards to empathize the conversation you had minutes ago.

She shakes her head, sobering up for the moment. "When are you going to talk to him?"

You quirk a brow. "Are you kidding? Like he would ever talk to me."

"Well, you two are always staring at each other. Just go talk to him," she motions you to go to Benny, who was still out on the field.

You shake your head, "No way."

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head with a defeated sigh.

~~~~~

As you walk down the sidewalk, you take notice of the new neighbors moving in, right next door to your house.

There was a boy, a bit small, short, and a bit...nerdy looking. He looks harmless, really.

What threw you off was that there was only two weeks left of school, and even if it was a short amount of time, you knew that he would most likely be attending your school. And being the new kid once, you knew how awkward it was making friends and being in new surroundings.

You slow your steps, biting your lip in consideration before walking up to the kid and introducing yourself. "Hey, I'm [Name]. I'm your next door neighbor."

You internally cringe at yourself for being so lame.

The kid looks taken back by surprise, but shakes himself out of it. "Oh, I'm Scotty Smalls." He thrusts his hand out, shaking your hand for a few moments.