Chapter Seven

Life could be a dream

If I could take you up in paradise up above

If you would tell me I'm the only one that you love

Life could be a dream, sweetheart

Hello, hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again

"Hey, [Name]."

You jump in your seat, cheeks flushing as you turn away from the diner window to see Benny standing beside the table. "Benny!"

"This seat taken?" He points to the booth across from you.

You shake your head as he slides in the bright red booth across from you. "What are you doing here?"

"You know how the boys puked at the fair?" He asks, and you nod. "Well, most of them stayed home today because they're still feeling a little sick. And the twins and Bertram got grounded for eating chewing tobacco."

"Yikes," you smile. "So it was just you today?" Benny nods as you shake your head. "I mean, I know Smalls was staying home today because he's still a little sick."

Benny nods, fiddling with the salt shaker as the waitress, Cindy, comes and places down a basket a fries. "Here you go, hun."

"Thanks, Cindy," you smile as she walks away to tend to another customer. You push the fries closer to Benny, offering him fries. "You can have some."

Benny pushes the salt shaker to the side as he plucks a fry from the basket. "I don't mean to intrude, but what are you doing here? I thought you'd be at the sandlot."

"I would, but Meg just got back from her camping trip and she wanted to see me. We decided to meet here, but she's late. I tried knocking on your door this morning, but your mother said you were in the shower."

Benny nods, "She left before I got out, she must've forgot to leave a note. She was late for meeting a friend of hers."

You nod in understanding, "Yeah, that can happen to you." Benny takes another fry from the basket as you continue speaking, "I never got the chance to thank you for the plaid shirt last night. You know, with the boys puking and all."

"Oh, yeah." Benny fiddles with his fry, tearing it in half before placing them on a napkin.

Life could be a dream

If only all my precious plans would come true

If you would let me spend my whole life

Lovin' you

Life could be a dream, sweetheart

As the song comes to an end, Benny looks up from his torn fries to look up at you. "[Name], I--"

"Ooh, what's going on here?" Meg smiles, stopping beside the table.

"Nothing!" You and Benny say simutaneously.

Meg raises a brow, "Right..."

Benny then slides out of the booth, "I should get going. See you tomorrow, [Name]."

You wave as Benny turns to walk out the diner, and your heart sinks a little. You could tell Benny was going to say something important, but of course you were interrupted, yet again.

"Did I interrupt something?" Meg asks, sliding in Benny previous seat. She frowns when she sees the basket of fries. "You didn't wait for me."

"You were late," you say, as she takes a fry and plops it in her mouth. You slide the napkin that Benny placed his half torn fry and bring it closer to you. "Tell me about the trip."