Chapter Ten

September was in bloom, therefore school was as well.

Students buzzed in anticipation and excitement while wandering the front of the school and inside the halls, talking animatedly to their friends. Some students dreaded it, their faces scrunching up in displeasure, voicing their thoughts aloud for their peers to hear.

The boys gather in front of yours and Meg's lockers, laughing and talking excitedly. Your attention is on Meg, who is snickering at Ham because she left him speechless after she counterbacked his comment with a witty insult. Kenny and Bertram were laughing, poking fun at Ham which resulted in Ham smacking their arms.

"You know, I think red and blue go well together." Benny is leaning against the locker next to yours, a small amused yet affection smile playing on his lips.

You look at his attire, taking note of his blue baseball tee and dark washed rolled up jeans. You on the other hand are wearing a red shirt with white stripes which is bolded black, paired off with black jeans.

"Psh!" Squints shakes his head, using his index finger to push up the bridge of his glasses. "She looks like a salior."

"Yeah-Yeah, ahoy lady!" Yeah-Yeah agrees, shooting you a teasing smile. "You ready to set sail on an adventure to class?"

"You gotta be careful!" Squints nudges Yeah-Yeah with his elbow, lips still stretched out in a smile. "Or else you'll be in deep water."

"Don't rock the boat, Squints." Yeah-Yeah warns, before he and Squints burst into giggles.

You roll your eyes at them, because of course they would laugh at their own "sailing" jokes. "You both are morons."

Benny is smiling now in full amusement. "I'll be your captain, if you'll like."

You scoff a laugh, punching Benny lightly in the arm. "You're not even dressed like one."

The school bell rings, signaling that school is going to be in session within the next few minutes.

You lean off you locker as all the students scatter to head off to their first class. You peck Benny on his cheek before heading off to your first class with Bertram at your side.

~~~~~

During lunch, Ham and Kenny mock Benny with "lovestruck" voices, dramatically putting on a show at the picnic table.

"She kissed me, didn't you see?" Ham exaggerates, fluttering his eyelashes.

Kenny points to the left side of his cheek, smiling up towards the sky in awe. "She kissed me here."

Benny throws his two potatoe chips at them. "Knock it off. I did no such thing."

Everyone at the table giggles and laughs, and you nudge Benny with your shoulder. "It's okay, Benny."

His cheeks tint a little as he smiles. But soon enough the boys gather the remains of their lunch, throwing it in a trash bin before heading off to play baseball out in the field.

"You know," Meg starts, unwrapping a stick of gum. "Benny was surprised when you kissed him."

"He was?" you ask, as she hands you a piece of gum.

She nods. "He didn't say anything, he was just smiling like the sick lovebirds you guys are. The rest of us saw."

You smile, thrilled that you were able to take Benny by surprise. Not only that, but because you have been thinking about kissing him. You were too nervous making such a bold move, so you thought you'll start off slow and build your way up to it.