Part 11

[A/N: So I'm pretty sure this picture is actually of Australian Olympic Sychro Diver Rachel Bugg - correct me if I'm wrong, I'm really sorry if I am - but for the sake of the story, we're going to say that this is what Charlie looks like.]

I had arrived at Bucket List a few minutes late, and I heard Jesse say, "Fashionably late, are we?" I chuckled and said, "Congrats, Jesse." He hugged me and kissed my cheek, saying, "Congrats to you too, love." I smiled at him and kindly said, "I wouldn't want to have had anyone else by my side through the traineeship." Jesse grabbed a beer that was sitting on the table next to him, gave it to me, and made a toast, saying, "Cheers to many more years of the best trainees Bondi's ever seen."

"Oi! That's my beer!" Chappo's voice sounded as he came over to us, followed by the attention of every other lifeguard there. He pat me on the back jokingly and said, "Well, Charlie, if you're gonna take my beer, you have to finish it." I shrugged, tilted my head back, and heard the boys cheer loudly as I chugged the rest of Chappo's beer. I saw Deano walk over toward me with what looked like a strawberry daiquiri, and he handed it to me. "Congrats, Charlie. You've worked hard for this." I hugged Deano and said, "Thank you for being there for me and for helping me. without you, I wouldn't have done it."

I greeted the rest of the boys, and thankfully we had our own private room at Bucket List, because we were quite a loud group, full of laughs. After a few hours, I said to the boys, "Everyone back at my house, I've got some food." A slightly intoxicated Jesse asked, "And more beer?" Everyone laughed as I put my arm around him and said, "Not tonight, buddy."

The guys who were on the morning shift had left a bit earlier. Harrison, Beardy, and Kerrbox were opening the next day, and they had smartly decided to cut themselves off with one beer. That left me, Gonzo, Reidy, Deano, Hoppo, Maxi, Chappo, Harries, Bisho and Yatesy all walking over to my house. I walked with Deano and Hoppo, and the other boys walked together a little ways in front of us. I heard them laughing hysterically, and I looked up to see Troy's face as red as ever. Before he could open his mouth to say anything, Yatesy exclaimed, "Gonzo's got a crush!"

I rolled my eyes and chuckled at their immaturity, and jokingly said, "I wonder who Gonzo's crush is?" Deano chuckled, and Hoppo joined in the laughter. I looked at them seriously and said, "Wait, you know?" Hoppo replied, "Of course. Word spreads like fire."

We finally got back to my house and all crashed in my living room. Beardy had offered to house Harrison for the night, which was probably the best idea since we were all laughing and having a great time. Maxi was laughing with Chappo and Yatesy as Jesse said some of the funniest things I think a drunk man has ever said. I sat with Deano, Hoppo, Harries, Bisho and Reidy, and we reminisced and laughed at some of the memories we had on the beach.

"No!" Reidy exclaimed loudly, groaning as everyone looked at him. "What mate? Reach your limit of two beers?" Chappo teased, and Reidy looked at him and said, "We forgot to prank the trainees this year!" Hoppo smirked and remarked, "They're still the rookies on the team... They'll get got."

*

As I was in the Tower with Gonzo and Chappo, my phone rang. I looked down at the number and saw that it was my coach. I answered it, keeping my eyes peeled on the water. "Hey, Jamie." I said, watching the waves crash on the cliffs up at Ben Buckler. "Charlie, FINA's asked for you to be the ambassador for Australia up at Worlds... That means you're going to be one of the most watched diver in Australia, and up at Worlds." I groaned and replied, "No pressure, right? When do we start training-"

I stopped mid sentence, grabbed my radio and said, "Bondi Central to Reidy, do you see the two guys at the back of Backpacker's? One's about ready to go under, get out there!" I turned my attention briefly back to my diving coach and said, "Can I call you later?" He replied, "Go save lives." I thanked him and hung up, bringing all of my attention to the ocean as Reidy was backed up by the new guy, Harrison.

I watched nervously with Gonzo and Chappo from the Tower. Reidy got to the guy that was farther back, and Harrison got out to the second guy. We all sighed in relief as we watched Harrison and Reidy bring the guys in to shore, and Chappo said, "I'm gonna go switch up with Harries." Before leaving, he grabbed Gonzo's shoulder and squeezed it tightly, then he smiled at me and left. Instead of taking a Rhino, he walked down to Harries' post - that meant that Harries would be walking all the way back up here.

"That was a great call, and to do it while you're on your phone..." Gonzo complimented me sheepishly, and I replied, "Thanks, Gonz. I wasn't really listening to my coach anyway." He chuckled, and I sensed some nerves from him. Just as I was about to ask what was wrong, Troy asked, "Hey, um, can I ask you something?"

I nodded, and he looked at the ground, playing with his feet as he asked, "Um, I was just wondering if you'd want to go to dinner with me sometime... Like maybe tonight." I smiled lightly and asked, "Like on a date?" Gonzo looked up at me nervously, and I replied, "Sure thing, Gonz. Sounds like a plan. Pick me up at eight?" Gonzo laughed at my joke and answered, "Yeah, I can't wait."

Just as I returned to looking at the water, Harries opened the door. He must not have noticed me turn around, because he looked at Gonzo and gave the thumbs up, and Gonzo must have replied, because Harries smiled widely. Suddenly, everything began clicking in my head.

"Was I the one the guys were all teasing you about on that walk home from Bucket List the other night?" Gonzo flushed red, and Harries began to laugh hysterically. Bisho came back from lunch break and nonchalantly asked, "Did she say yes?" We all chuckled, and I asked, "What, does the whole lifeguard service know about this?" Harries replied, "What do you think we all told him to do that night when we were walking back to yours?"

I realized that Hoppo and Deano must not have known then. I asked, "So then Hoppo and Deano don't know?" Bisho chimed in and said, "They know Gonz has a crush on you, but they don't know that Gonz was planning on asking you out."

Oh boy. My best mate and my boss had no idea that I was going on a date with a coworker.

*

Eight o'clock came around a lot faster than I thought, and as I put on a pair of distressed, light wash jeans, I heard a knock on my door. "One sec!" I slipped on a pair of sandals and a long sleeve shirt since it was windy and a storm was coming, and I said, "Come in." I heard the door close and Gonzo said, "Wow, you own clothes that aren't meant to be worn within 100 meters of water?" I laughed and playfully punched him as I let my hair down and put some leave-in conditioner in it. Gonzo said, "I've never seen you with your hair down, Charlie." I replied, "I don't wear it down for just anyone, Troy."

We got in Troy's car, and he drove us to one of my favorite restaurants in Bondi. Before I could ask where he found out about this place, he said, "I asked Deano where you like to eat. He knew straight away." We got out of the car, and I smiled as Troy and I sat down to have a casual dinner together.