♣️Chapter THREE♦️

As soon as the loud and bothersome sound coming from her alarm clock interrupted her sleep, Solitaire was awake. She had slept profoundly that night since she had gotten no rest the night before. She hated the loud noise of the alarm clock; she instantaneously shut it off. The first thing she did was check up on her nail polish and make sure it did not get smudged while sleeping. Her nails were barely dry when her eyes were getting heavy last night. She was too exhausted to wait around until they were completely dry. Solitaire smiled, noticing her nails were still perfect. She looked towards Esmi's bed. She quickly rose from her bed when she saw Esmi's completely stripped bed. There were no sheets on the bed or blankets. This was rare since it was not laundry day.

Solitaire looked at Esmi's night table. Everything was gone! Her nail polish, her writing pad, her pens were all gone! Maybe she had placed all her things inside the drawer of the night table? Esmi sometimes did that when she was cleaning. Solitaire quickly opened the drawer to her night table. It was empty. There was nothing in there but an old piece of cotton used to remove nail polish the night before. She opened Esmi's closet; it was empty! There was nothing but wire hangers hanging inside. Solitaire ran down the stairs to look for Esmi or one of the counselors to tell her what was going on.

When Solitaire reached the group home kitchen, she looked towards the table and saw a few of the kids having breakfast, but still no Esmi. Tessa would not come in till the afternoon, but another counselor was sitting at the table talking on a cordless phone. Solitaire did not know her name, but she was a young and pretty girl with an eyebrow piercing. She usually worked per diem. Solitaire had seen her before but never really talked to her.

"Where's Esmi?" Solitaire asked, looking at the counselor.

The counselor looked at Solitaire with a puzzled look on her face. "Esmi? I have never met an Esmi at this group home," she said.

"Yes, there was; she was my roommate!" said Solitaire raising her voice a bit.

The counselor put the phone down. "Oh, you call her Esmi? I know her by Esmeralda. She's no longer here; she moved," said the counselor placing the phone back up to her ear.

A feeling of confusion and anger came over Solitaire. "What do you mean she moved?" asked Solitaire.

"Her mother got laid off from her job or something. So, her mother moved the family to Florida. They picked her up early because it's a long drive."

"Why didn't she tell me she was moving?" asked Solitaire with an angry tone.

By this time, the kids at the table were eating their breakfast while gazing at Solitaire.

"I don't think she knew herself, sweetie. Would you like some breakfast?"

Solitaire ran up to her room without answering the counselor's question. How could Esmi have just left without saying goodbye? Solitaire walked towards her closet to get her clothes ready for school. She opened her closet and picked out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. She changed into her school clothes wishing she did not have to go to school today, wishing Esmi was still her roommate.

Solitaire looked under Esmi's bed to ensure this was not some prank Esmi was playing on her. Esmi was not under the bed. She got up and opened the small drawer on her night table to get her hairbrush. There it was! Right next to her hairbrush was a small hand-written note. It was from Esmi!

Hey Solitaire,

I didn't know I had to go so soon. I didn't want to go without saying goodbye to you, but the staff didn't let me say goodbye. They said you had to wake up early for school. I have no clue where I'm going, so I don't have an address or phone number to give you. All I know is that my mom is taking us somewhere in south Florida. I hope you're not mad at me for not saying goodbye. I will never forget you. I didn't know you for long, but it's like I had known you forever. I was happy because I finally thought I had found a BFF that went to the same school. Oh well, that's life... I guess. I know I'll see you again someday in this lifetime. I promise! Friends 4 Life!