Late Time!

TW: This chapter has some mentions of forced purging/vomiting and very minor child abuse. If this disturbs you, please stop reading at... "It had a pungently-sweet aroma and colored frosting that made his stomach clench and gut pull." Please enjoy the rest of the story, readers!

Nagisa was late. He'd liked to think that forgetting to set his alarm clock the previous night had contributed to it, but having a full-on mental breakdown had definitely sealed the deal.

He had forgone the whole process of hailing a cab to take him to Ouran. He was essentially broke (the ministry was damn frugal when it came to rationing out money for him!), and the local drivers were real penny-pinchers, so Nagisa ruled out that option.

He instead decided to run for it, bolting down Japan's streets like a madman, and the uncomfortable dress he wore certainly hadn't helped in the endeavor. He had certainly caught a lot of people's eyes, some ogling at him because of his uniform, and the other because he had looked like he'd gone crazy— at that point, Nagisa couldn't find himself to care after all the emotional exhaustion he felt from the morning.

Nagisa, for the life of him, couldn't find his classroom at all. The long, narrow halls yielded no help towards him, and there were no other students to be seen. Nagisa swore that the layout of Ouran Academy was more complicated than Hogwarts.

Finally, after great effort, he found the door to his classroom. A small smile made its way on his face, and Nagisa reveled in his victory— it felt like he had a won a battle! It was small battle, sure, but he had felt proud about it.

He opened the door, and it emitted a creak as Nagisa swung it open.

His classmates swung their heads around, staring at the imposing Nagisa. And then, the teacher's eyes were upon him, glaring at him behind the lens of his glasses. "What are you smiling about, young lady? Happy about skipping your classes?"

And, ah, that was another battle lost.

Nagisa bowed quickly, and explained his tardiness to his teacher, "Sorry, Sensei, my alarm clock didn't go off this morning!"

The teacher laughed, "Hah, I didn't know that any Ouran students used alarm clocks anymore!"

The response made Nagisa's cheeks tint pink, slightly embarrassed at his teacher's remark. "Seriously?!" Nagisa thought, a little ticked at the teacher's haughty reaction, "Rich people don't even use alarm clocks?! What, do they have maids wake them up or something? Damn rich people..."

"I suppose I could excuse your absence this time, Miss Chishiki, as you are a new student. Do try to be on time to class next time, will you? We only have 15 minutes left!" The teacher responded, before continuing, "Now, go on, take your seat."

Nagisa complied, taking his seat in the corner. He seemed to attract his deskmate's, Renge, gaze as he sat down.

She sent him a smile. It had an erratic hint to it, but Nagisa shook it off, giving her a smile in response, knowing it was just a part of Renge's nature.

Nagisa tried to concentrate on the teacher's ramblings, but he couldn't find it in himself to listen. He was anxious, as if an energy was flitting through him. His foot tapped restlessly against the classroom floor. His body burned as he attempted to keep them still, and all Nagisa wanted to do was stretch out his limbs.

He supposed it was because it was that he was used to trying to assassinate Koro-Sensei in mornings, so he had become accustomed to that over time, hyping himself up so he could assassinate Koro-Sensei.

But now the energy had become distracting, thrumming impulsively throughout him—

His thoughts leaped off the subject as a neon post-it stuck to his desk. His eyes traced up the arm that held it, the owner of said arm being Renge's. She sent him a wink before retracting her arm, seemingly turning her attention back to the teacher.