Chapter 4

I stood back in disgust when I look upon myself to see that those irritations that have been causing my eyes to burn like those logs people use to start a fire; is not normal. When I take another look to see those black vine marks again, it seems it rooted from outside in the corner of my eye and like a vine it grows creating little marks and then those marks create more marks.

            I was not too happy to see that. How it got like that. If I am not mistaken, I had seen my dark me kind of looking like this. But it was a daydream. Or is it? Feeling desperate, I head out of the bathroom back to my desk. I sit down and rush to get the laptop on. I get on a search engine and start typing words like eye irritation and marks on eyes caused by irritations.  As I search for clues, how did this thing spread so fast?

            I look back at the laptop screen to see the potential results; looking over, all I see is results that lead me to pink eye, Scleritis, and other degenerative diseases to the retina, iris, and chorea. I never even heard about some of these diseases except pink eye. Yet out of all those results, none shown anything that related to my type of problem. I even look at picture results—some just nasty to look.

This irritation I have is not even in the same ballpark. I wonder if my mom knows. Yet do I have to tell her I have a strange illness.

I turn my head back at that outdated clock that always give me issues with that stupid alarm sound. 12:05 AM

I realize I have to go to practice at 7AM. Knowing I have no choice but to forego the research about this problem and pray to the heavens this can go away. Shutting the laptop down, I close it while I’m getting up from my chair. I take a quick sneak peek inside the second desk drawer where the journal is still there. I close the drawer knowing it is there safe. I head to my bed. I pull the covers down. I get in and put the covers back on me. I’m just hoping I will have four hours of peace. I see the alarm clock—knowing how I am still angry how it operates, I put the alarm on making sure I will wake up at least two hours earlier. After checking the alarm on, I lay my head back on the pillow and just wonder if those marks will fade away. All I can do now is just watch what happens next.

***

I wake up after hearing the sound of my alarm clock; as much the sounds making me wish I sleep more, it is really powerful waking me up. I slam my fist at the contraption stopping the noise.  I sit up starting to roar like a mountain lion. I shake my hair as well seeing the clock.

6:15 AM.

            Great! I rise up from the bed and as I start preparing myself for soccer practice. I suddenly thought about those black marks around my eyes. I head to the bathroom to glance at the mirror. As I look at myself, I’m in total relief. The marks seem to vanish at the right time. How it got there remains a mystery. I put on my typical, everyday clothes on after washing myself and packing my booksack and heads out

***

After a tenuous soccer practice, I almost felt tired, but I need my energy at best seeing that I have to go to my four classes. As the hours continue to pass, I complete my Geometry, History, Biology, and English classes for the day. All in all it has been a total of eight long hours, from the time practice started to the time I reach my bike to head home.

            Oh no!

            I forgot that I need to meet up with Liana today. As I take my bike and get on, I pedal my way from school near West Congress Street then three miles away from there to Huffman Drive near downtown. Nearby the local pizzeria, is Zephyr’s Café. This place is usually the fun place me and my friends head to a lot for drinks and hamburgers.