Chapter Two - Freeze Your Brain

Author's Note - Thank you all for waiting so patiently for the next installment of this series! I know it's been a while but I have been very busy and I couldn't work on this as much as I'd like to. For now, since school is starting next week and I have practices and work to do, uploads might be scattered and there might be more spelling errors. I am sorry for that but I will try to fix them if I see them. For now I'm just trying to get this out while I can so all of you lovelies don't have to wait as long. :) I suppose it's fitting that this is coming out around school time given as Heathers takes place at school time, lol! Anyway, that's it for now in this short little blurb. On with the actual chapter! P.S. Look at that new cover! I know it isn't anything special, but neon lights remind me of the 80's and it's dripping kind of like a slushie when it starts to melt! So yeah. Sorry it isn't the best quality as the pic was rather small. Also I don't own the pic but I'm pretty sure it's free to use.

Omniscient P.O.V.

It had been about a week since the fight happened between the new kid and Kurt and Ram. Everything for the most part was back to normal, and everyone was already moving on with the new drama of the day. You, however, didn't move on from your little crush on the new kid. Luckily for you, the Heathers had also forgot about him too. No longer were they teasing you for loving the trench coated smart-ass.

While you had no classes with him, Heather McNamara of all people had one class with him. The day after the fight, as the Heathers were gossiping with you as their add-on, McNamara spilled the beans.

"Hey do you guys remember that psycho kid who was fighting Kurt and Ram yesterday?" She asked, taking a bite out of her sandwich.

"I'm sure (Y/N) does." Heather Duke said, smirking at you.

"Shut up Heather!" Heather Chandler said. "And of course we do, Heather. How could we forget how he handed Kurt and Ram's asses to them on a platter." Chandler continued, coldly.

"Oh, yeah," McNamara giggled nervously, cleared her throat and then continued. "well I have him in my American History class. It turns out his name is Jason, uh, Dean I think is the last name."

"(Y/N) Dean, has a nice ring to it, wouldn't you agree?" Duke said, once again mocking you. All of the Heathers giggled together as you sat their crossing your arms in annoyance.

"Har-de-har-har." You said sarcastically. You were just dying for lunch to be over. Sitting with the Heathers was a much bigger hassle than you thought it'd be. While it was nice to not be bullied or bugged by anyone in school, you also had to keep your cool and not speak up about something the Heathers did or said that angered you. You were always biting your tongue, resting on the slippery slide that was popularity.

You caught occasional glimpses of Jason in the hallways and sometimes you'd walk by whatever table he was sitting at during lunch. Always reading a book and always sitting alone. Of course you felt bad for him, fantasizing about the day that you'd be the one to sit next to him. With him by his side you wouldn't need the Heathers association for certified protection from the school's bullies; You'd have him there to protect you. Both you and him wouldn't care about what people said about you as long as you both had each other.

Alas, that was just a fantasy.

In more recent news, Kurt and Ram were throwing a party while their dads were away and you were invited. You weren't one for parties, but fearing it would make you seem lame to not go, you decided it was important to at least attend for a couple hours. The Heathers were coming by to pick you up and you had to run a few errands for them along the way.

Your P.O.V.

The Heathers came to pick me up for some party that I guess Kurt and Ram were hosting. Not really exciting for me since I'm not really a party animal but hey! Maybe something exciting would happen. Maybe Jason would be there...Ha, fat chance.

On the drive, we stopped at a local 7-11. Heather needed corn nuts for the party and it was up to me to go get them for her.

I stepped into the store and, oh my goodness, could it be? There he was, Jason. It was almost like a dream came true. He seemed to be drinking a slushie when he noticed me or something. He raised an eyebrow and I started to walk over to him, half wanting to ask him where to find corn nuts and the other half just wanting his attention.

"Hey, uh, do you know where there are any corn nuts around here?" I asked, playing with the hem of my skirt nervously. He pulled away from his slushie and asked, "What's a Heather doing talking to me? I thought they all only talked to their own kind."

I giggled slightly and decided to correct him playfully.

"Actually, I'm not a Heather. I'm a (Y/N)."

"Ah, I see now. Such a big difference."

"Um, I didn't catch your name?"
"I didn't throw it."

I paused for a second, not sure what to do. He stuck his hand out for me to shake.

"Jason Dean, J.D. for short though." He smirked at me as I accepted his offer and took his hand to shake.

"That's a cool name, J.D. is...That thing you did in the cafeteria was pretty severe."

"Well, the extreme always seems to make an impression." He said, now starting to play with the straw of his drink.

I giggled although I'm not entirely sure why. In hindsight I probably just looked like a giggling idiot or something.

"So, uh, what are you doing here in Sherwood?" I asked.

"My dad's work. He owns a deconstruction company."

"De-construction?"

"The old man seems to enjoy tearing stuff down. You've seen the commercial? 'MY NAME'S BIG BUD DEAN, AND IF IT'S IN THE WAY I'LL MAKE YOUR DAY!'" He said impersonating his father, which made me laugh quite a bit.

"And then he pushes the plunger and the screen blows up." I added, laughing a bit after that too. Then I started laughing awkwardly again. "Heh, that's your dad?"
"In all his semi-psychotic glory."

All of a sudden our conversation was broken by Chandler honking the horn and screaming my name.

"I...don't like my friends." I said.

"I don't really like your friends either!"

It was a couple minutes of silence. "So, uh, why do you hang around at a 7-11?" I asked.

"I've been through ten high schools, they start to get blurry, no point planning routes when you're gone in a hurry. My dad keeps two suitcases packed in the den, so it's only a matter of when.

"I don't learn their names, don't bother with faces, all I can trust in this concrete oasis. Seems every time I'm about to despair there's a 7-11 right there.

"Each store is the same from Las Vegas to Boston! Linoleum isles that I love to get lost in. I pray at my alter of slush, yeah I live for that sweet frozen rush!" J.D. then took a sip of his slushie, giving him a brain freeze, and continued.

"Freeze your brain. Suck on that straw, get lost in the pain! Happiness comes when everything numbs. Who needs cocaine? Freeze your brain."

I looked at the drink then at him and said teasingly, "Does your mommy know you drink all that crap?"

"Not anymore! When Mom was alive we lived halfway normal. Now it's just me and my dad, we're less formal. I learned to cook pasta, I learned to pay rent, learned the world doesn't owe you a cent!"

To finding out that news, I was totally shocked. I was about to ask if J.D. was okay, but then Chandler once again interrupted us with her screaming and whining.
"Hey, um, I'm sorry to cut this short but I better go get her that...Um, see you in school?"

J.D. nodded. I grabbed the corn nuts and left the store, glee now filling my insides. I couldn't wait for school to start...

To be continued...