Chapter 3-Decisions

Chapter 3

The 4 of them lead by the technician continued down the hallway. Nervous glances were exchanged from time to time, but silence was present most of the way. They finally divided when they made it to the elevator. "I'm not taking my chances if that freakin' thing gets stuck!" Paul had insisted. Brian just groaned and took it with the technician. John and Ringo followed Paul.
As they made their way, no, sprinted, up the stairs 2 floors, they finally got to the door. Opening it revealed another smaller waiting room, above it the sign read 'Emergencies and Surgery'. Ringo didn't know which one George fell under. They sat down restlessly until Brian and the technician walked up to them. The technician cleared his throat and looked at them. "As you probably know.. I'm not a nurse." He chuckled but gained no response from the rest. "All of the available nurses are busy in your friends room at this time, so I was sent to bring you up here. One will be out in a minute to notify you of the situation." And with that he walked away.
Great, even more waiting, thank god it wasn't too long. Around 5 minutes passed when the door opened a crack. The three Beatles' eyes shot up. A short nurse with dirty-blonde hair walked out. "So..?" Ringo questioned impatiently. "Your friend George is alive." She smiled. There was cheering all around, and yet again the tears started flowing, this time of happiness.
"But-" Oh no, there was always a but. "He is under heavy wiring right now. And will require surgery. They need to remove the bullet and see if any organs were punctured." John, for the first time, gave a nervous glance towards Paul. "And.. there is only a 50% success rate based on the location of the wound." Ringo's heart dropped. No, this couldn't be happening. 50%?! Maybe he never even got to say goodbye.
"We don't undergo surgery until the body seems more stabile, so you will have a chance to each meet with him individually." That was the last thing she said before slipping back into the room. Ringo gulped, now they were going to have to decide who would talk to George first. Paul impatiently tapped his feet and looked around. He really wanted to talk to his friend as soon as possible, but he couldn't seem too desperate about it. Ringo looked at Brian, who gave a wave gesturing that he wouldn't stand in the way of the boys' personal business. Then he glanced at John, who was looking up hopefully.
If Ringo was being honest, he wanted to see George last. Not that he didn't want to see the guitarist. In fact it was the opposite. He figured, or at least hoped, that George might want to see him last before the surgery. But honestly he didn't know, maybe it was just him.
"I think Paul should go first." He spoke up. Paul turned confusedly. "Y-you want me?" Ringo nodded, he could tell Paul was impatient to see George. John just shrugged. "Th-thanks guys." Paul said sincerely, gathering himself.
They sat silently for around 15 more minutes until the door opened once more. Paul sat up as a group of nurses exited. A man, the doctor, turned to them. "The first visitor may see him now, but he may be just entering consciousness." Paul nodded and slowly got up. He made his way over to the door, his Beatle boots slightly squeaking. Giving one last sigh and turning to see looks of support, he entered the room to see his friend.