35* The Pensieve

Leonor walked carefully through the brush along the rock face. About a year ago, she followed Severus, curious to see what he planned to show. The bank of the black lake lay under the long shadows of dusk. The borderline between trees and pebbles blurred and was almost invisible. Leonor breathed deeply, face and body still heated from the afternoon in the hidden cove. She was relaxed and hungry and hurried into the direction of the Great Hall. Most students dined already; the noises sounded cheerful and excited. The term ended soon; the last task of the Triwizard Tournament took place in two weeks. The trouble of Harry Potter's name in the magical goblet seemed long forgotten. There were several free seats on the staff table, likely some teachers left the school to enjoy the wonderful weather of the weekend. Leonor sat beside Pomona and thanked for the support with all the magical plants for lessons. Leonor's time as a part-time teacher was finally over. The last lesson finished previous Wednesday. Every foreign student was prepared to return home. Leonor looked forward paying a hundred per cent attention to the apothecary and healing. Nevertheless, a wistful feeling remained inside.

After a decent meal, Leonor climbed down the gloomy staircases to the dungeons. The damp, torch-lit corridor presented itself even darker than in winter. The dungeons isolated themselves from additional daylight or the warmth of the season. Leonor pulled the cloak tighter around her body and knocked on the potion master's open office door to announce herself.

Several large books, quills and parchment lay on the desk and Severus glanced briefly over the edge of the dark binding and continued reading. Leonor waited and took one of the books after an indecisive silence.

"What can I do for you?" said Severus evenly rubbing his nose without looking up.

"Nothing," answered Leonor quietly. Severus frowned. The book thudded to the desk, and he pushed the chair back. It shook ominously but regained balance. He sorted some items on the workbench and checked a cauldron for a seeming eternity.

Leonor heaved herself to a small free space on the desk and took a book. A letter caught her attention, and she spoke softly, "St. Mungo's regrets they didn't employ you after graduation."

"Do they? I'm sure they've enough experts without me." Severus' answer was full of resentment.

"I thought you'd like to know. Richard told me." Leonor spoke still to Severus' backside, and he only gave a derisive laugh in response. It sounded hollow within the stone walls of the basement.

"St. Mungo's wants me to go to Brazil. I could. The police killed Juan in a drug raid," said Leonor indecisive.

"Then you should do so!" The answer was broad and harsh.

"I hoped you'd say something else—" Leonor couldn't keep the disappointment out of her voice and her gaze travelled down to the heavy defence book on her lap. A knock to the door frame made her look up again.

"Good evening!" Dumbledore greeted with the usual mischievous wink. "Severus wanted a word," explained the old man as if to justify the visit. Severus took a letter from an inside pocket of his robes and handed it over.

"A late application won't be the reason to sort me out," said Severus snarkily.

"It was never, Severus," intoned Dumbledore politely with a hint of limited mercy.

Leonor considered the two men and the pity in Dumbledore's gesture created a flush of humiliation on Severus' face before he turned to stir the cauldron again. The headmaster studied the room and the books on the desk. The letters to the parents of Vincent Grabbe and Gregory Goyle created a satisfied grin on Dumbledore's face; even though Leonor doubted in any improvement after the holidays. If the Dark Lord returned, the cruelty of the fools would be paired with the arrogance of ambiguous winners.