2: Knock Knock, Get the Door, It's Rejection

Aaron POV

I can't believe I made it through that class without breaking down. I rush out the door first, knowing Ty usually waits until everyone else is gone to leave. I used to wait with him, but not today. I can't today.

I run all the way to the least used boys bathroom before breaking down. I can't believe I actually asked him. And he said no. In all my fantasies, I had always imagined the scene with him saying yes. But I suppose that's all fantasies are. They're what you want to happen, with no basis in reality.

I replay the scene in my head for the millionth time. I call his name. He looks up, with a gentle smile on his face. I ask. He grins. My hopes rise, and he blushes. He laughs along with the class at me. The people around me think I'm joking, and the boy I love doesn't love me. I don't know what hurts more, the rejection itself, or the fact that he will never love me the way I love him.

I plug in my earbuds to tune out the world and the tears begin to fall. I don't try to stop them. It would be pointless with the amount of emotion flowing through me right now. I can't stop thinking of how he looked when I asked him. I can barely breathe. He's been my best friend since forever, and what if I messed that up? What if he never says anything to me again? What if I ruined what we had?

I'm stirred out of my thoughts by my stall door shaking violently. I stop my music and check my face to make sure I'm not a complete mess before I open the door. Standing before me is Macy. By the looks of things, she was waiting for me for a while.

Seeing my earbuds, she says, "Oh, you had your earbuds in. That would explain why you couldn't hear me yelling at you."

"Sorry Macy, but why are you here? I was fine, you didn't need to check on me," I say, trying to smile without spilling more tears.

"One, the bastards in charge of this school decided that since I am not technically a female yet, I am not allowed to use the girl's bathroom, so this one is practically my domain. As I'm sure you've noticed, barely anyone uses it. And two, that is obviously a lie. I saw what happened in Spanish, and I can put two and two together, especially when you ditch your best friend to run to the least used boy's bathroom," says she, and my face settles into a small smile.

"I'm okay now. You can go. I'm good."

"Lies. You are definitely lacking in the sweet frozen lactose department, and I must fix this."

It took me a minute to decode what she said. "Wait," I respond a few seconds late, "you want me to get ice cream?"

"Yep. Let's go," she says and walks out the door without waiting for me. I grab my stuff and book it after her. I follow her to her car, and she takes me to some ice cream shop near where I live. Macy must come here often because the people behind the counter greet her by name.

"Hey, Macy. Something new, or the usual?" asked the old man.

"Hey, Frank. I think I'll have the usual, and this guy will have...?" she directs the last words toward me, and I step up to the glass and put my hands near my face like an excited child looking at the bright colors.

"I think I'll have a strawberry with chocolate sauce, please," I say after a moment. The man, Frank, nods with a kind smile and goes about creating our delicacies.

"Did you finally get yourself a boyfriend?" he asks Macy, with a bit of a laugh. He looks between me and her, from my face which probably went as pink as my ice cream, to her eyes rolling. "No? What a shame. Someday you'll bring someone back, right?" He laughs and hands us our ice cream. Macy just walks off, so I reach for my wallet, but Frank shakes his head and waves me on.

Macy walks to the last available table, set right next to the wall in the back corner of the bright room. It's obviously for couples, and I would much rather sit somewhere else, but there are no other available tables. Macy takes the chair facing the front of the shop, and I plop myself down in my seat and dig in. I understand why Macy decided to bring me here. This is the most delicious thing I've ever put in my mouth (but not the most delicious thing I've ever thought of putting in my mouth, right?).

The ice cream gives me a chance to relax and think rationally. Or something. But my head is clear, and I can feel my focus returning. I don't notice when the bell above the door rings behind me, and someone walks in. I pay the same attention when Macy excuses herself.

But then I hear a voice.

A voice that I've longed to hear late at night, just before I fall asleep.

A voice that I've always hoped to hear first thing in the morning to wake me up.

A voice belonging to Ty.

"Hey, I'd like a cotton candy and mint chip, please."