3: I'm Too Gay For This

Ty POV

"Hey, I'd like a cotton candy and mint chip, please," I say, addressing the man behind the counter. He smiles and goes about creating a sweet masterpiece. I didn't want to go home, and when I saw this place, I was drawn in by the bright colors. And the idea of ice cream.

The man hands me an empty cup. "What?" I ask, befuddled.

"Catch!" he calls, and I grin. This place has me feeling better already. I think about bringing Aaron here, which sets off dominoes in my brain. Aaron knocks over crushes knocks over questions knocks over rushing out of class before I can talk to him. My smile has evaporated by the time the ice cream lands with a plunk in my cup. I hand the man a five dollar bill and walk away. Or try to.

When I see Aaron's curly blond hair, my feet won't move. I stand frozen at the counter, looking at the boy I love lounging at a couple's table. Finally, I move, turning to find a table. There's a table nearby that Aaron would've chosen over that one. Or I hope. I try to reassure myself that the table might not have been open when he got here. But I fail. That's what I always do, right?

I sit down at the table with my back to him, hoping he won't notice me. But since when do I get what I want? I'm left breathless as he pulls out the chair in front of me and swings it around so the back presses against his chest.

"Hey, I'm sorry I left early earlier. I had to talk with Ms. Winifred about getting an extension," he said. He seemed carefree, but I saw something like hurt hidden deep in his eyes. "Did you see her reaction when that new girl came in? Old Winnie almost flipped when she saluted. Mark my words, her heart'll give out before the end of the semester."

A girl appeared behind Aaron, but he didn't seem to notice. It was Macy, wearing the uniform for this place. She taps his shoulder, and he jumps about a mile. Which is especially funny because he's a hurdler in track. Ha-ha. I'm hilarious.

"Hey, I gotta work. So unless you want to be stuck here until closing time, you gotta get yourself a ride. Mkay?" she says, smiling at both of us. She winks at me before she leaves the table.

"I got you. I can give you a ride, I guess," I say, the words leaving my mouth without conscious thought. I immediately regret it. And when his face splits into a great grin, I immediately take back my regret. Even if he doesn't like me, at least we're friends. I can make him happy in other ways.

I finish up my ice cream faster than I would have liked and beckon him into the front seat of my black Chevy. He swings his bag in, putting it on the floor, and puts my bag in right behind it. He climbs in, and his long legs cover the space over the backpacks on the floor with ease. I'm jealous of his height, but I mean, it's not like I'm a midget or anything. I'm just kinda short. Whatever.

He doesn't say anything when he climbs in, but the silence between us isn't awkward. He turns on the stereo, and I laugh as he's surprised by the subwoofers in the back. When we make it to his house, he doesn't make a move to get out. He turns off the stereo so I can hear him.

"Thanks for the ride, Ty," he says. I sense he wants to say something else, and for a moment, he looks like he will, but then he closes himself off and opens the door. To his surprise as much as my own, I interrupt his exit.

"If you, um, don't want to, um, go home yet, I'm home alone. So, um, you can come and um, bunk over. If you want," I stammer out, blushing. "It's okay if you don't."

He catches me off guard by closing the door, and I take a deep breath, trying to keep my cool. He's coming home with me. He's staying the night!

He smiles, and when he's this close, I can see the flecks of silver lacing his eyes. I grin back and gun the engine. It's only a few minutes to my house, and we reach the small place without much conversation.

He opens his door. I push him out the door. He laughs and runs around the car. He jerks open my door and pulls me out. Instead of letting me fall, he catches me against his chest. I blush again. He laughs. I shove him back. He grabs my keys runs up to the door. I close up my car, grabbing his backpack and mine before I follow him. He manages to get the sticky door open and books it up the stairs. I race after him and crash into him when he reaches my room.

Our bags have fallen beside us, and somehow I ended up straddling Aaron. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck I'm so fucking gay. I roll off of him, taking deep breaths.

"Oh, Ty. I didn't grab a change of clothes, so do you mind if I borrow some of yours?"

Fuck. I'm. Gay. Fucking hell.

"Oh, yeah, sure. No problem. Pick what you want," I say, my voice an octave higher than usual. I'm still panting on the floor.

This is going to be an interesting night.