T W O

Five Years Earlier...

The hard felt vibration of Tessa's alarm clock shook violently against her wrist causing her to groan tiredly, before pressing the stop button and unwrapping it from her wrist.

After a few months of doing a part time job and trying to make the most of her free time, summer had finally come to an end for Tessa and all the other kids; it was time for them to get back on the school schedule

Eighteen year old Tessa couldn't more happy that she was done with high school and onto her next line of education - two years at Community College. It was her decision to take a two year course before going into the three year course at university to get her degree.

She was still undecided on what she wanted to do in the future since she felt her progressive hearing loss was something that held her back.

She was only fifteen when she started acknowledging the symptoms and only months later she was diagnosed with the disability. Of course at the beginning it wasn't as hard since she had most of her hearing, but as the conditions was progressive, her hearing was fading more and more each day.

People she thought she could call friends would often smile in her face and laugh the second she would turn her back.

She honestly couldn't count the amount of times people would speak to her as if she couldn't understand English when all they needed to do was speak slow enough for her to lip read. What aggravated her the most was when people tried to do sign language. It was just plain disrespectful; especially since they were only doing it to mock her.

Not to mention she faced a lot of ignorance; people who knew of her condition would quickly get annoyed or catch an attitude whenever she asked for people to repeat themselves, which is why she often kept to herself to avoid it.

She could only hope that her years at community college would be different than high school and maybe meet some people who were genuine and not sticking around out of pity. She was hoping she could come out the shell she created and go back to her old friendly self.

Stretching her muscles with a few of her bones making a crackling noise, Tessa got out of bed to get ready for her first official day at community college.

Just as she was about to exit her room, her mother; fully dressed for work, entered her room.

"Oh you're awake, that new alarm clock is really does work." Her mother said a little to fast for Tessa to understand, since she didn't have her hearing aid in yet.

"Huh?" Tessa asked.

"I just came in here to wake you up for school." She said slower, making Tessa nod her head as she let out a yawn. Her mother shortly left her room after telling her breakfast would be ready once she was done getting ready.