One

Chapter One - Demi's POV

I shut my eyes and laid down on my bed. Just thinking of moving away from Joe already hurts me. I don't really know how to break this to him, the potluck's tomorrow and now this just gets me nervous by the minute. I thought about how he could take this situation. Would he be sad? Would he cry? Would he be mad? Thinking about all of this already puts pain and irritation in my head. I sighed and opened my eyes staring at the blank ceiling. Would he even care if I was gone? Of course he would, we were best friends since the day we were born. I closed my eyes again and tried to sleep through everything hoping that an idea would come up in my mind when I wake up next morning.

I sat up on my bed after a long night of sleep. The potluck's in two hours and I didn't realize that I slept in. "Dems, are you awake?" I heard Dallas's voice through the door of my room.

"Yeah, let me just get ready for a minute." I sighed getting off my bed and heading to my bathroom. I heard a faint 'okay' and footsteps diminished down the hall. I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed brushing my messy hair. I still had a lot to think about and I don't know if I should tell Joe today. I changed my clothes and looked at my alarm clock seeing 2:30 digitally written across. "Hey." I said to my sister in the kitchen.

"Are you okay?" She asked in a soothing voice leaning on the island.

"Kind of." I shrugged sitting on a stool.

"Don't worry, Dems. He'll understand. You guys are about to turn eighteen next month, after you finish school you guys can meet all you want." Dallas said as I nodded not feeling any better.

"Okay, I need to go to the potluck early. You wanna come with me?" I asked hopping off the stool and brushing my skirt.

"I'll meet you there. I'm meeting up with some friends." She said as I smirked.

"You mean your boyfriend." I nudged her arms as she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, okay, now go." I giggled as she dismissed me from the house. I felt sad again remembering the conversation I had with my parents. I sighed and walked to the Jonas residence.

"Hey Dems!" Joe said opening the door with a hug. I giggled slightly and accepted his hug.

"Hey, Joey!" I said as he chuckled. I advanced towards his two brohers and gave them hugs as well.

"You're early." Joe said closing the door as we sat down the couch.

"Yeah, that's because I have something to tell you." My face sadenned as he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Is everything okay?" He asked sitting up straight.

"Not really." I said quietly looking at my hand too ashamed to look up.

"Tell me then. Maybe I could help." I shook my head as tears streamed down my face. I looked up and he saw my wet cheeks. He suddenly felt sad for me and cupped my face making him look at me directly. "What's wrong, Demi?"

"J-Joe, I'm going to-" There was a knock on the door interrupting our conversation. I sighed as he looked at me with sympathy before going to the door. I wiped my eyes trying to get rid of more tears that were about to come

"Hey mom. You're back early." Joe said revealing his mom who was carrying loads of groceries. He took a few and helped her get them to the kitchen.

"I know. Hey Demi!" Mrs. Jonas greeted me as I smiled and helped her. "Are you okay?" I sighed knowing that I can't escape her with my red eyes.

"Hey Mrs. Jonas. I'm fine." I said smiling. She nodded meaning that she understood, but our conversation was not over.

"Can you help Joseph? There's a lot of things I bought today." I nodded and walked out to the car carrying the groceries on my way back. I helped them make food until guests started coming. I sighed knowing that I couldn't tell Joe since he was too occupied with a bunch of people.

"Did you tell him?" Dallas walked to me with drinks in her hands handing me one.

"I couldn't. I was about to, but there were too many interruptions." I said drinking the punch that she gave me.

"You have to do it soon, Demi. The closer the date gets, the more this is going to affect him." She walked away as I sighed and shook my head. In exactly a month I will be 2,800 miles away from here...I hate it.

I looked for Joe knowing that there was actually no right time to tell him. Everytime I let a second pass by, I feel more guilty. He's going to get hurt no matter when I tell him. I spotted him talking to Nick in the corner of the room with my friend Selena. "Joe, can I talk to you?" I said butting in their conversation. He looked at Selena and Nick for approval as they nodded. He walked with me to the backyard where there were less people.

"Are you ready to tell me now?" He asked throwing his cup of punch away.

"I've been ready to tell you. You were just with other people so I couldn't." He nodded waiting for me to continue. "Listen, Joe. You're not going to take this well, I didn't either when I found out."

"What? Demi, just tell me. It can't be that bad." Joe said holding my hands.

"Joe...I'm leaving." I said waiting for him to process the information.

"When? Where? And how long will you be gone?" He asked taking my news differently than what it is.

"No, I mean, I'm leaving, as in forever. I'm moving to New Jersey, Joe." I couldn't take it anymore so I let my tears out.

"N-no, you can't. Demi don't l-leave me." He cracked embracing me in a tight hug. I cried on his chest hugging him as tight as I could.

"I'm sorry." I whispered still crying. It wasn't long until I felt  drops of water on my back which were his tears.

"Is it final? Is there any way you could stay?" He asked pulling away from the hug. I shook my head sadly. "What about prom, Demi? You promised. You said we will graduate together. You said we will go to the same college. Demi, please." Joe pleaded tears streaming down his eyes.

"I'm really sorry, Joe." I said hugging him and kissing his cheek before walking away.

"Please, don't." I heard him whisper, by this time I couldn't manage my tears anymore. I ran to my sister and hugged her knowing the she is the only person who understands what I'm going through.

"I'm sorry, Dems." She said quietly still hugging me.

"She walks away, colors fade to grey.

Every precious moment's now a waste."