Three

Chapter Three

Demi looked at the boxes surround the whole house. She sighed and took two pictures off of her nightstand and smiled. They were both from freshman year. The first one was last day of school taken by Selena. The second one was the Talent Showcase. She smiled at the memory and sadly dropped them in the boxes. A man walked in her room grabbing a few boxes. Her parents had payed for haulers one day in advance of their trip to New Jersey. She sighed and looked around the room. The only thing left were her bed, which they will obviously leave, clothes for the next day, and her hygiene equipments. She walked downstairs to see Joe waiting for her. He smiled at her and led her out of the house. The two walked hand-in-hand down the sidewalk on the way to the park.

"I can't believe I'll be gone in two days." Demi said sadly as they stopped by sitting on a bench in the park.

"Neither can I, but you promise to stay in conact?" Joe asked as Demi nodded.

"Yes." She said hugging him. "I'm really sorry, Joe. I wish I could stay here for prom and graduation." Demi started tearing up on his chest.

"It's not your fault, Dems." Joe whispered kissing the top of her head. She started bawling as Joe felt sad. "Sshh..." He said trying to calm her down.

Demi smiled and looked at the dark sky with twinkling stars. They were laying down on an open grass field. This was the first day in a month that they've spent alone time with each other, they've always hung out with Nick or Selena, never with each other alone. A comet passed by as she closed her eyes and wished for something. Joe smiled at her before doing the same thing. "What'd you wish for?" He asked.

"I'm not telling you, it won't come true." Joe schuckled slightly and shook his head. "I'll miss you." She said facing him.

"I'll miss you too, Dems." He whispered taking a strand of her hair behind her ear. He kissed her forehead as they smiled.

Demi cried overnight knowing that when she woke up the next morning she would be leaving in a matter of hours. She spent the whole day with Selena alone going shopping.

"Don't leave me, Dems." Selena said hugging her. Demi sighed and leaned her chin on her shoulder.

"I'm not, I'm just moving halfway across the United States." Selena nodded tearing up a little. Dallas already had her car ready and they' was leaving in thirty minutes.

"Demi." Joe called after Demi hugged Nick. Demi followed him back behind her house. "Here." Joe said opening her hand handing her a polished silver ring with "Joseph Jonas" written in cursive writing. Demi looked at it in awe.

"Joe..." She said speechless. "You didn't have to."

"I know, but I wanted to. Keep it, okay?" Demi nodded as she started crying slipping it on her ring finger. Joe smiled and held up his hand showing Demi the one he has which is the same except "Demetria Lovato" was written on it. Demi grinned not controlling the tears. She pulled Joe in a tight hug. He closed his eyes knowing that maybe this would be the last time.

"Thank you." She said quietly. She looked in Joe's eyes as they started leaning in capturing each other in a kiss. "I love you, Joe." Demi said hugging him again.

"I love you, too." He said one last time before letting her walk away back to the car. Joe cried and waved at the window seeing her wave back. The car drove away as Joe smiled to himself, but felt gloomy at the same time. He had always dreamed of kissing Demi, just not in this way. He had always dreamed of a first kiss with her, not last.

Demi shut her eyes and cried in her seat hoping this nightmare-come-true would end. At the same time she felt happy though. She smiled and stared at the ring on her finger dreamily. Dallas stopped at a stoplight and looked at Demi with wide eyes. "He proposed?!" She exclaimed as Demi giggled and sniffed still crying.

She shook her head, "No. It's more of a friendship ring. Like a never-forget-the-times-we-had ring." Demi exagerated making Dallas smile and step on the gas driving off to the vehicle cargo then to the airport.

Demi sighed and waited for her plane call. She sat on one of the waiting chairs and looked at the picture of her and Joe in her wallet. It was her sixteenth birthday party. She smiled at it and clutched it on her chest. The plane call came as she and Dallas walked towards the plane.

Demi stared out the window until the buildings and structures of Los Angeles were too minute to be seen. She sighed and held the ring to her chest. "Dems." Dallas called who was sitting next to her.

"Yeah?" She asked looking at her.

"He'll come for you." Dallas said as Demi smiled.

"I hope." She whispered. "I'm gonna miss them."

"I know you will, they'll miss you too. We've been best friends for the longest time." Demi nodded and looked at her ring examining it. Dallas looked at it and snatched her finger immediately sitting upwards.

"What?" Demi asked.

"Dems..." She started as Demi looked at her in confusion. "That's real."

"What? No it's not."

"Yes, Demi. That's real. I know true and faux when it comes to jewelry."

Demi smiled at the ring reading Joe's name over and over. She took it off and looked at the inside seeing, "Best Friends Forever". She grinned wider and looked out the window seeing nothing but fluffy clouds beneath them. Some are dark and some are white, but mostly dark. Demi sighed knowing that a summer storm was about to hit. "I love you, Joe." She whispered.

"She hits the gas, hoping it would pass

The red lights starts to flash, it's time to wait."