CHAPTER ONE

A tall thin clean-cut military officer wearing his dress white navy uniform is walking down a long corridor with his cap tucked under his left arm,  he  stops  in  front  of  a  door  with  a  heading  that  reads  Rear  Admiral  Lee  Kennedy,  the  man  looks  at  his  uniform  one  time  and  then  enters,  after shutting the door behind himself he walks up to a young man sitting behind a desk reading some papers, the young man looks up and smiles.  "  Yes  Captain  may  I  help  you?  "  The  tall  man  smiles.  "  Yes  Yeoman,  I'm  Captain  Tucker  Johnson  here  to  see  the  Rear  Admiral.  "The young man stands up and shows Tucker into the other office, Tucker walks up to a middle-aged man sitting behind the desk wearing a dress white uniform and has short salt and pepper hair,  The  man  looks  up  at  Tucker.  Lee  gestures  to  one  of  the  two  chairs  in  front  of  his  desk.  "  Have  a  seat  Captain.  "Tucker picks a chair and does what he's told,  the Yeoman leaves the office and closes the door, Lee leans back in his chair and looks at Tucker.  "  Tucker all that time you've spent in the spaceship simulator is finally going to pay off, you wanted to be an astronaut and that's what you're going to be,  your name came up at a meeting and so you have been chosen to command the USA  Ohio, which is a starship that is capable of exploring and combating situations up in space, you'll be the very top dog up there, in fact, that'll be your ship."   Tucker  looks  down  at  the  floor  and  then  back  up  at  Lee. "  Tucker  your  mission  will  be  to  find  us  a  new  planet  to  call  home,  I  know  it's  easier  said  than  done  but  you  and  your  crew  are  the  only  hope  we've  got  right  now  and  there's  no  telling  how  long  this  planet  will  last,  Do  you  understand  me  Captain?  "  "  Yes  sir  I  understand  you."  "  Don't  tell  anyone  in  your  circle  what  the  true  nature  of  your  mission  is,  tell  only  the  crew  members  who  need  to  know  and  no  one  else,  we  don't  need  a  massive  panic  on  our  hands."  "  No  sir.  "  "This is the most top-secret mission you have probably been involved with so be very careful."  Tucker  shifts  in  his  chair,  Lee  sits  up  in  his  chair.   " Tucker,  you  and  your  crew  mustn't  return  to  Earth  until  you  have  completed  your  mission."  Tucker  feels  his  nerves  start  to  tense  up  inside  of  himself,  he  tries  not  to  let  his  fear  show.   " Sir  what  about  our  family  and  friends  back  here  on  Earth? "    "Your  dependents  are  allowed  to  accompanied  you  and  your  crew."   " I  have  no  dependents  sir."  "  Well  that  should  make  it  a  little  easier  on  you,  anyway  you'll  be  leaving  for  Moon  Base  Alpha  in  two  days  and  then  you'll  meet  your  crew  and  their  families.  Do  you  have  any  questions  or  unclear  about  something?"  "  Yes  sir,  what  does  the  crew  and  their  families  know  about  this  mission?"  " They  think  that  it's  just  another  USA  duty  station  to  explore  space  and  to  see  how  far  we  can  go  out  there. "   " Oh  ok."  Tucker  shifts  again  in  his  chair.   " When  do  I  meet  my  first  officer? "   " In  two  days,  anything  else  Captain?"    "No  sir."   " Great."  Lee  stands  up  and  extends  his  hand,  and  Tucker  stands  up  and  shakes  Lee's  hand.   " Good  luck  Captain."  " Thank  you  sir."   " You're  dismissed." Tucker leaves the office closing the door behind himself.  Two days pass by and Tucker is in his cabin on the starship USA Ohio getting ready to address the crew and their families when the door buzzer sounds,  he  finishes  touching  up  his  white  uniform  and  then  walks  toward  the  cabin's  door.   " Enter!"  The  door  opens  and  in  walks  a  Asian  woman  wearing  her  dress  white  navy  uniform  with  the  rank  of  Commander,  Tucker  stops  dead  in  his  tracks  and  stares  at  her,  she  stops  and  stares  at him  as  well.  Each  can  see  the  surprised  look  on  each  other's  face.  The  cabin  door  closes.  Tucker  smiles.   " Jennifer,  you're  my  first  officer?"  Jennifer  smiles  back  at  him.   " Tucker  you're  my  new  commanding  officer?"  Tucker  walks  up  to  Jennifer  and  they  hug  while  they  both  still  smile,  after  a  few  seconds  they  pull  away.   " Please  come  in  and  have  a  seat  Jennifer."  She  walks  to  the  couch  and  sits,  and  Tucker  walks  to  his  kitchen  counter  to  fix  a  drink. "    Would  you  like  something  to  drink  Jenn?"   " Sure  I'll  have  what  you're  having."  Tucker  fixes  two  glasses  of  sweet  ice  tea  and  then  goes  and  sits  beside  Jennifer  on  the  couch,  he  gives  her  a  glass  of  tea.   " Wow  I  never  thought  I  would  see  you  again  Tucker."  "  I'd  never  thought  that  I  would  see  you  again  either  Jenn,  how  have  you  been?"  "  I've  been  good,  and  you?"   " I  had  my  ups  and  downs  but  I'm  good."  Jennifer  sips  on  her  tea  while  at  the  same  time  looking  straight  into  Tucker's  eyes  while  he's  looking  straight  into  her  eyes  as  well.  They  both  start  to  remember  the  past  of  how  they  had  met  and  where.  Jennifer thinks back years ago when she'd met Tucker at the  USA academy when they were both second-year cadets, they would spend their liberty weekends together off academy grounds and have fun.  Tucker  starts  to  remember  how  Jennifer  felt  in  his  arms  when  he  would  hold  her,  how  soft  her  lips  were  when  they'd  kissed,  and  her  beauty  when  they  were  together.  Tucker  clears  his  throat.   " How  long  has  it  been?"  Jennifer  thinks  for  a  bit  and  then  responds.  " Twelve  years  last  month."  Tucker  looks  away  for  a  second  and  then  back  to  Jennifer.   " Jenn,  why  didn't  we  ever  hook  up?  I  mean  really  hook  up."  Jennifer  grins  as  she  looks  at  him.  " You  mean  get  married?"   " Yeah."   " Well  after  we'd  graduated  from  the  academy  we  both  came  down  with  orders  going  other  ways,  and  we  just  lost  touch."  Tucker  looks  at  her  and  finds  himself  wondering  what  their  lives  might  had  been  like  if  they  had  gotten  married.  Jennifer  looks  at  him  looking  at  her  with  a  thoughtful  look  on  his  face. " Tucker?  Tucker?  Tucker?!"  Tucker  snaps  out  of  his  thoughts. " Yeah,  um  sorry,  I  was  just  thinking."   " About  what?"   " Oh  nothing  really."  Tucker  just  realizes  that  Jennifer  has  on  a  wedding  ring,  and  scoots  away  from  her  a  little.   " Jenn  you're  married?"  "  Yeah,  and  I'm  guessing  that  you  just  now  noticed  my  ring."   " Anyone  I  know?"   " No.  We'd met in Tokyo one weekend at the marketplace,  he's  a  engineer,  well  a  chief  engineer."   " Are  you  happy?"   " Well  I'm  still  married  to  him  so  that  has  to  say  something."    "Wait  I  remember  seeing  a  Chief  engineer  Watson  on  the  Ohio's  duty  roster,  is  that...."    "That's  him."   " Oh  man."  Jennifer  looks  at  her  watch.   " Well  I  guess  it's  time  to  go."  Tucker  gets  up  and puts  the  glasses  of  tea  in  the  kitchen,  and  then  they  both  leave  the  cabin  and  head  for  the  ship's  auditorium.