Help?

<§>

Roman's sole focus was on the moss covered wall ahead. He'd managed to hack through the old wood, followed by wiping himself off for several minutes, but beyond that was a wall.  These guys were clever.

Roman contemplated the wall ahead, wondering how he'd get in.  His mind had settled on using the metal bar that had covered the door to tear down the stones when he suddenly noticed the sheer silence in the grove. It seemed as if the wind itself was holding its breath. Roman looked and could see the trees beyond the little clearing blowing, but he couldn't hear it. The hedges surrounding the tower didn't sway at all.

As Roman surveyed the hedges, puzzled by the lack of sound, he suddenly realized that the thick bushes didn't have any holes signifying his entrance. He gave a dramatic gasp as he realized the clearing must be enchanted.

This revelation did nothing to change his goal and instead only strengthened his resolve to free whoever was in the tower ahead.

As though a lantern had been lit, an idea suddenly came to Roman's head: if he could just get the fair maiden to hear him, perhaps she could toss down a rope....or her hair....

Roman took several steps back and proceeded to shout at the balcony, hand placed over his heart, "Oh fair maiden, let down your...uh...rope! So that your prince may rescue you!"

After a couple minutes had gone by without a rope, Roman decided that drastic times call for drastic measures. He picked up one of the larger rocks scattered around the clearing and tried to use it to batter down the stone doorway.

He was going to have to wash his suit after this.

<§>

Virgil was still slowly calming down from his panic attack, and was just laying on his bed, when a voice caught him so off guard he nearly screamed. The tower and clearing beyond were always dead silent so the sudden, loud voice caused him to freeze.

The voice was still slightly hard to understand, especially because Virgil was no longer on the balcony.

It sounded like, "Oh ...., let down .... rope! So ... prince ... rescue you!"

Virgil could have laughed if he wasn't still terrified. There was no way this was actually a prince. And there was no way that this person came to rescue him. Right?

A little voice in the back of Virgil's head insisting that this 'prince' could be the one to save him like the storybooks. Virgil decidedly ignored this voice in favor of preparing for an intruder.

Virgil has never had any reason to create weapons, but he did have some things that could be used like a weapon. He ran to the kitchen and picked up a frying pan. Unconventional, but it'd probably work just fine.

When the banging started, a noise Virgil could hear all the way at the top of the tower, Virgil slowly hid behind the bookshelf with his frying pan. His dark clothes finally helped him blend in with his surroundings.

A mighty crash at the bottom of the tower caused Virgil to freeze once more and grip the frying pan so tightly that he was sure the blood flow to his fingers was cut off.

Loud stomping slowly progressed up, nearer to Virgil with every passing moment. A small voice in his head, the same one that was calm when Virgil was scared, started questioning if there was a stairway to the bottom of the tower and if that would have been an obvious and easy way down....

Too late now.

<§>

Me, updating again? What is this, the apocalypse?

But seriously thank you to anyone who stuck around to read this and I'll try to keep writing.

Also cookies for whoever got the reference I made with the frying pan.

( ◠‿◠ )