Ch. 13 Welcome home

Melisande and Salem sat beside each other on the front steps of the pack house. The boy wore her red heart shaped sunglasses and short black swim trunks. They had spent most of their day in the pool but now they waited for the Alphas return. They'd been gone for a week to attend Azrael's graduation and spend some time with him. Melisande would have gone but there was no talking Salem into it and she couldn't leave him here alone even though he insisted she go.

She figured her mouth was stained as red as Salem's from the cherry popsicles they'd eaten. The boy hadn't said much but that was normal and the silence they sat in was comfortable.

When the two had returned from their two day unauthorized mission, her parents had been livid. The information was not only classified but supposedly unattainable. Melisande guessed the Council didn't have friends like they did. Although the Alpha didn't admit it, Melisande knew he was impressed with the information they brought back to him. She hoped it would be enough for him to send them on actual missions, she was bored sitting around doing nothing and they were both old enough now.

They did have to work at the pack owned businesses around town for two weeks as punishment but they'd had fun and finished before summer started.

"If I asked, would you change me?" Salem asked out of nowhere and Melisande turned to him with wide eyes.

"Dad already told you the risks of changing an un-fated Human." Salem bit down on his bottom lip. Every pup is told once they understand, to never bite a Human. Most bitten Humans die before they can complete the first shift. The painful first shift for born Wolves is ten times that for a bitten Human. They have to find and connect with their wolf, while born Wolves already have a connection. That's why only Human Mates are ever changed, it's believed that they are Fated by Luna and are already somewhat connected with their wolf.

"Is this not fate? Did Luna not make it so I would end up here?" His words made since but it was still too risky. Melisande wouldn't be able to go on knowing it was her bite that killed the Human boy.

"Is knowing about us not enough?" She asked, making Salem huff.

He leaned back until he was holding himself up with his elbows. "I just...I don't feel apart of the pack. Yeah I live here and you guys consider me family but, I'm not Pack." Melisande felt her heart clench at the sadness in his voice. Salem didn't really show emotion but he seemed to be giving her an insight on how he was feeling. She understood what he was trying to say. The pack is your extended family and for someone who's never had any family, he wanted all he could get. "Forget it, it doesn't matter." That expressionless mask slid back into place.

Melisande opened her mouth to speak but before she could three black SUV's pulled down the driveway. Salem stood and Melisande followed, glancing at him before turning all of her attention to her returning parents.

Their mother was the first to get out and she hugged them both tightly and kissed their cheeks.

"I'm so glad to see my house hasn't been burnt to the ground." She teased and Melisande smacked her lips. Their father hugged them both before Salem was yelling out as someone picked him up off his feet.

"Little Lemmy! Look at you all grown up." Liam finally sat the Human down after spinning him around and tugged on his long braid.

"Don't call me that!" Salem shrieked, slapping the male's hand away from his hair. Melisande's eyes focused on who was behind them and a smile spread across her face. Before she could stop herself, she was running towards the male and throwing her arms around him.

"I knew you'd be taller than dad!" Her words were muffled against his wide chest that rumbled with his deep laughter.

"I missed you too, sis." His large arms wrapped around her to return the tight hug and she blinked away tears. One phone call once a year was definitely not enough when you were use to spending everyday with someone. She breathed in his familiar scent that her wolf recognized as family before pulling back slightly to look up at him. He had a days worth of stubble on his face that didn't look so much like a teenager anymore. He's a grown male now. True to his wolf blood, he's huge. His shoulders broader and muscles more filled out and not so lean anymore.

"I guess all those years away were worth it, huh?" She smacked his cheek before ducking away from him. "If you don't act like an Alpha, at least you look like one." Melisande laughed and turned away from her brother to see Salem staring up at the male.

"Salem."

"Azrael."

Both looked liked they wanted to say more but neither moved an inch or said anything else. Melisande hugged Liam and ruffled the male's curly Mohawk. The look suited him. Roland gave her a nod but she ignored it and hugged him too, making the male grunt.

"Good to see you too big guy." The tips of his ears reddened as she pulled away and chuckled.

"Come on, you males need to eat and rest." Her mother spoke up, rushing the three in the house. Melisande hugged her father again.

"Thank you." She whispered, more happy than anything that her brother was finally back home.

Her earlier conversation with Salem was forgotten in her excitement as she ran to catch up with everyone.