FOUR

Devan trailed behind the man until they reached a vertical glass tube that stretched up to the top, it's diameter wide enough for two grown men, and when he tried to glance up he could not see the top.

"Go in here," The man instructed, and Devan shot a skeptical glance at him.

"Here...?"

"Yes. Step underneath it."

Devan followed his orders, and from around him a gust of wind pushed him up, at first lightly then faster and faster until the air around him was pushing up, and it felt like squeezing through an airtight tube but the tube was made of air itself. He was shot up, faster and faster but his ears didn't hurt, but his entire body felt ticklish, and it continued until he finally reached the top, and he landed lightly onto a pad.

He looked around the place, and it was a circular room with transparametal walls surrounding all of its sides The room was totally alien to him, and there was no one there until he finally swiveled his gaze for it to rest on one man.

"Chancellor," Devan strode forward.

"Devan, I asked you to come here to my office to discuss about..."

"The Aksillet Empire?"

"Yes... about the battle. You know that nothing would stop the Aksillet Empire from invading us--"

"You don't understand, chancellor. It is a battle for freedom, for the continuity of the good that runs in the veins of Earthlings! You can't just fear them for they are deemed to be all-powerful! Remember how we came together, it is unity who drew us from the very beginning, and it is unity who would lead us to victory! You can't just escape and you know well they would not just let you escape if you surrendered..."

Both men faced each other in a tense moment of silence, and Devan continued to stare at him as the chancellor rose from his seat, shaking his head slowly, "Then what do you want? War and millions of lives lost?"

"But that's our only choice... I know you are very clear why I am suggesting this, but trust me, we will win this war, help from the Union of the Southern Galaxy will be arriving, all the preparations are made. We are already here, everyone in the council and the public is ready for hell to break loose, there is no turning back."

"Are you threatening me?" The chancellor growled, but Devan merely shook his head calmly, shrugging as if nothing has just happened.

"You are the chancellor and your authority I would not dare challenge. But I hope to consider how your people were to look to you if you were to halt all war preparations and let the Aksillet Empire reach its iron claws onto our planet. That, I would say, would be the worst anyone on our planet could ever imagine. You told me to come to discuss the war and I shared all that I could. The choice is yours, chancellor."

Suddenly, all in his eyes that Devan presumed was vengeance and stubbornness subsided, and what took its place was a sea of hopelessness. "Fine," The chancellor slumped back onto his chair, "Do what appeases you, start a war and take a million lives. You can control the war yourself, but the decision you shall bear."

"Thank you," Devan forced a smile while the chancellor turned away from him. However, Devan felt guilt that he dealt a blow to the chancellor by defying his orders, but he knew that was the only thing he could do. This was an important time in Earth's history, and he could not let personal issues lead to the destruction of Earth, at least, not again.

Silently, Devan turned away and left the room, stepping into the glass tube and the last thing he saw was the chancellor staring into the sea of lights of the city, back facing him, then he was gone.