EIGHT

The missiles slammed onto the face of the Earth, destroying acres of land. From the capital ships, bombers flew down to the cities and bombarded the cities. From the council building, The Chancellor watched on as smoke and flames rose from the cities.

They made the right choice by evacuating the people into the forests and mountains, but yet in the cities, damages were heavy. Yet the Chancellor himself was in a difficult situation as he could not leave the city in time before the bombs started falling.

The fighters and bombers flew overhead, bombing all land they could see. They were in a dangerous predicament, and the bombs smashed onto the ceiling of the building, rocking his office.

"My Chancellor," The Chancellor's secretary spoke beside him, "We should leave this building this very instant. The bombs might destroy the building whole if we do not evacuate."

"Alright," He turned to the elevator, but before he took could react, the entire levitated building tilted to one side, and both men fell to another side of the room.

"The levitating system must be hit," The Chancellor struggled up, and staggered towards the elevator, "We've got to escape..."

Before the Chancellor spoke the entire building fell to the ground. He could not see what happened from the window but the next moment, there was a jolt and the world around him exploded in darkness.

Meanwhile, outside in the city, the bombs were falling.

~

The ground control for the war was situated a mile away from the planet's capital city and was safe from the bombardment except for an occasional fighter gliding across the skies. It came again as Kalendra spoke to the bridge officers of the Colossus, but after a few moments, it flew away. All members of the team were busy on their headphones, Juan and Andrei helping Devan, Drew and Ell on the mission to deactivate the FLaw, and the rest of the team communicating with the fleet.

"The Union fleet has arrived, we just established contact with them," Aaron spoke from the other side of the room, "But they are already bombarding our cities now, and the only thing we could do for defense is to launch our missiles. They are located in African Earth and currently safe, but if we wait too long they might reach the arsenal and destroy it."

"Sure, do it. Attack their main destroyers, they are the threat," Kalendra spoke, pulling her headphones from her ears and placing it on the desk, "Fire as many as we can. Also, I'll communicate with the Union Fleet. Give me their location."

"About eleven thousand miles from the surface, directly above Arabian Earth," Aaron replied, and Kalendra switched the tracker to the direction.

"Got it," Kalendra replied, but before she could go back to her communications, a guard ran into the hall, stopping at the doorway.

"Ground control! The Council Building is bombed, and the Chancellor is missing! We have to search for him," He stammered.

"But the bombardments are dangerous there," Juan spoke, "We can rescue the chancellor, but it is risky. Have we got a fighter jet?"

"Yes," The officer replied, "Three of them, one as the escort and two to protect it. We have missile defense systems on the jets themselves to shield us from the blasts. Anyone can help us with the mission?"

"I'll go," Lucifer spoke, "At least I know that we won't be blown away once I reach the cities."

"Thank you, sir," The officer said, and Lucifer walked out of the hall with him.

~

The jets reached the city within ten minutes, and Lucifer finally saw the ruins of the city that the bombardments had left on it. The buildings were smoking and torn down, and in the middle of all the destruction and bombings, what remained of the Council Building could be seen, a smoking heap of rubble on the ground. The bottom of the orb-shaped building was crushed under the pressure of the entire building, but the top part of the building seemed to be intact.