Willow: Introductions

"Well, that's alright," the boy continued, "we'll track you down eventually. If you don't remember, no prob." It was embarrassing that I couldn't remember my own name, so I focused my thoughts on something else. I took this brief silence to examine the people around me. The boy had dark hair and a face full of freckles; his blue eyes were filled with immaturity and joy, and it seemed like I could watch them all day. I wondered if that was some sort of spell.
"You're an elf?" Sassy asked, tearing a bundle out of the other girl's hands and opening it towards her. I croaked in reply. I could feel my strength slowly coming back, but I still needed time to heal. 
"Hm?" Sassy asked, expecting me to be able to say more. I shook my head. She rolled her eyes and continued, "You were wearing the symbol of your tribe, Realm One."
The boy seized the banner and laid it out before me so I could see it. It was a silk cloth with a ginormous black symbol in the middle, surrounded by Elvish words. I couldn't remember how to read the words, but I felt like I was home. Finally, something familiar.
"It was around your shoulders when we found you," the boy said after a few moments. "That's why we didn't see the knife until you moved and the banner fell."
"That's normal," Sassy cut in. "I mean, not the knife in your gut part. If you survive crossing over into the human world, a banner appears around you to show people like us where you came from. I still have mine."
The quiet one nodded in agreement.
"Tribe?" I mumbled.
"Yeah," Sassy responded with a slight chuckle.
"She probably doesn't remember that part," the boy snapped back. He turned to me and spoke kindly. "Everyone is born into a tribe, at least in the elvish realm. We just call it Realm One. Elves tend to see themselves as superior beings, so they label their realm the greatest of them all."
I wondered why I took offense. I shoved this feeling aside for the time being.
"Every tribe has its own culture, and the tribes generally don't mix well. Elves party all the time."
"That's not true," Sassy glared at him.
"Okay, well, it's a pretty great observation, then," the boy smirked at her discomfort. "And when they're not partying, they're painting. That's definitely true."
"Not all Elves party all the time. We're just like you."
"Whatever. We don't have half your holidays."
"Are you kidding me, this again?" Sassy roared.
"Guys," the girl said meekly. Both instantly went quiet. I realized they respected this girl and desired her opinion. Sassy sighed. The boy seemed to think this all was funny.
"Sorry," Sassy turned to me, ignoring the boy entirely.
"How many?" I asked slowly.
"Tribes?" The boy asked. I nodded.
"Twelve," Sassy interrupted the boy, who was slowly counting on his fingers. Everything was silent for two full minutes--a new record.
"I'm Dalia," the shy girl said. Her eyes had been bouncing all over the room the whole time she'd been inside.
"I'm Bobredoneax, but the girls have always called me Bob," he shrugged.
"Queen," Sassy said.
"That's perfect," I started laughing, and then I felt the searing pain in my gut. Queen smiled, and suddenly everyone in the room was happy. She seemed to be the leader; she had emerald green eyes that guarded her secret feelings and motives, and her hair was fiery red. It was short in the front, and no one would have guessed that her long hair was concealed within her beanie.
"What were you?" I asked when the pain momentarily subsided. Obviously, I meant what species.
"I was supposed to build, but I got thrown out for bad behavior," Bob laughed.
"I was a huntress, and everything else," Sassy spat.
"Nothing," Dalia whispered softly.
"What're you?" Bob asked. I tried desperately to remember. I looked down at the banner that was spread before me. He realized I didn't have an answer for him. "We're gonna go now and let you sleep, but if you need us you just say something. K?" He said, turning to leave.
"Thank you," I said. Sassy nodded as she came over to my IV. She must have given me something to make me sleep.

Nightmares plagued me throughout the night.

          My eyes flung open and my head spun toward the clock on the bedside table. Three a.m. I remembered--I begged myself not to forget it again. I rose to my feet and flew around the room, throwing open drawers and digging through papers, checked the closet, under the bed...
"What're you looking for now?" Sassy's voice made me jump.
"I can't lose it, I can't forget again--" I slammed the drawer shut and paused in frustration. No, no, no! It was slipping away, whatever it was. "Why are you here?" I finally asked in defeat.
"Nice to see you, too. I figured you'd be up soon, with jet lag and all. You probably want answers."
I looked around the room and then at Sassy, hoping to remember my secret. Once again, I gave up and nodded.
"Professor's back, and Dalia made breakfast. We weren't expecting him so soon. Apparently, he heard about your arrival and wants to meet you."
"Professor?" I hadn't decided how to react. Could this be a trap?
"Looks like you're feeling a lot better. Before we go, let me check on your stitches."
"I feel like a new person," I said, remembering how much pain I had been in a few hours earlier.
"I'm glad you still carry some of the blood," Sassy spoke while she worked. "Normally, it all turns human and there's none of it left until you go back to your realm, if that's even possible."
"So, I'm a human now? I thought I'm an Elf."
"Well, yeah, but when you cross over you turn human. It's not up to you. Humans don't believe in Elves, or anything out of the ordinary. Part of the magic disguises you in every way it can, so that you won't get caught as a strange creature on Earth. Humans don't see that there are spirits who affect their daily lives, they don't believe in any god. That's why they aren't a threat to Tormod. Earth isn't even considered its own realm. Eventually, maybe, humans will learn. Until then, we're pretty safe hiding here. Humans don't know we exist, and they don't really care, which gives us the freedom to roam freely here, waiting for someone like you."
"Why me?"
"Because when you come into this world, you're confused. Lots of people have temporary memory loss and wonder where they are. They need lots of simple things explained to them."
"Thanks?" I tried.
"Whatever," she mumbled and motioned for me to follow her. We came out of the small guest room that I had stayed in and entered the dining room. It was nice and open, uniting the kitchen and living room. The dinner was set and there was hot bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and hash browns on the table. My stomach rumbled as I realized how hungry I was.
"GOOD morning, Sunshine!" Bob shouted as he plopped into his seat and shook the table when his fist landed upon it. I'm not a morning person, but apparently Bob is. Even at three in the morning.
"She needs some space, Bob. You need to shut up," Queen took her own seat at the table.
"I just said, 'hi'!"
"Don't talk her head off." Classic eye roll. It was a miracle her eyes hadn't gotten stuck like that. Yet.
          Dalia looked right into my eyes--I could feel it, but I didn't look back in time. Her gaze returned to the floor, table, chairs, and everything else. I noticed the professor wasn't in the room, but his plate was full and waiting for him. I didn't know what to expect. My scrambled thoughts started to whisk me into a world of worry.
"Sit down," Queen pushed me into the chair next to the professor's empty seat.
"Someone's nervous," Bob smirked.
"I don't think I'm nervous," I felt color rise to my cheeks. "I'm tired."
"It's one in the afternoon for all the Elves." Queen just couldn't let my attempted lie slide.
"Are you two messing with our guest?" An older gentleman came down a staircase I hadn't seen before that was hidden behind a wall of books. The man looked like he had stepped straight out of a Sherlock Holmes novel: a grey tweed trench coat and plaid hat, with leather shoes and a gold wristwatch that wasn't manufactured on Earth. Dwarfish, I think--wait, why do I know that? He had bright blue eyes and a sweet, welcoming smile that made his pudgy cheeks wrinkle. Strands of silver-blonde hair were peaking out from under his hat. He refused to take off the jacket or the hat, making us all think he wouldn't be staying long.

I still had no idea what to expect from this man.