Lost Memories: Rescue Mission (Continued)

The mechanical horses dragged the vehicle across the path and halted once their icy hooves trampled upon the soft flowers of the clearing. The vehicle they had pulled was another machine that could not be properly explained unless one had seen it; it appeared as a medieval carriage, but sported bullet proof and tinted glass windows, along with an assembly of weapons created to tear apart those who got too close. Traps along the roof were laid out to ensnare one's ankles if they landed upon the roof too viciously. The Exterminators themselves--giants from Realm 2--were clad in enchanted armor. The symbols and laws of King Tormod were etched into the metal and painted over with black ink, which had slowly trickled everywhere. Rumor had it that when an Exterminator took another life, the black ink, as if renewed by the blood of the victim, refilled and dripped endlessly down the armor. Most giants had maroon-tainted skin, with fiery red hair and deep, dark eyes that matched the inky symbols in their armor.
          Willow retained every detail that she witnessed from the limb of the wise old tree which she sat upon. She saw the first carriage come to a stop near the bushes where Adresin hid, but she wasn't the least bit concerned about him being found. She trusted his talent, as whoever trained him had done very well. Her head told her there was something about him that was dark and mysterious--something she shouldn't trust. Yet, her heart was the one she followed now. She strongly believed he would do nothing against her or the rebellion, and she needed someone to trust. Maybe what she noticed was his strength in these situations, as he never grew nervous, anxious, or fearful. It could have been his wisdom and strategizing, as every raid he had planned was executed flawlessly. Maybe it was his shy kindness that won her over. Whatever it was that she noticed, she was dangerously close to trusting him fully, but her heart didn't warn her that this was a bad thing. She needed someone to confide in, and she had almost found that. What could go wrong?
          She perched cautiously in the tree, waiting for the trade to be completed. A man exited the vehicle and waited until a second carriage appeared out of the gloom. The man began loading thirteen kids from one car into the next; when the last little boy climbed into the back, the heavy doors were barricaded shut and the kidnapper was handed a sack of gold. The two men shared a few laughs and sprung up a conversation, while Adresin crept out of the bushes and gripped the bottom of the carriage. He was perfectly out of sight. After twenty minutes, he would pry off one of the wheels and wait for the criminals to pull over to the side of the road. He would surprise the Exterminators, knock them unconscious, and free the children within the carriage. He would then take them to a temporary village, where they would be safe for the time being.
          The first driver took his seat in the empty carriage, and the second one whipped the horses into moving. As the carriages headed opposite directions, Willow took a deep breath. Three. Two. One.
"Ndal lytfos," she mumbled as she landed noiselessly upon the metal roof. She felt her heart sink, and glanced upward at the trees. She recognized that they were now passing through a hidden land, which was coated in dozens of powerful enchantments. The spells affected every living and dead creature within their walls; the trees had died and were rotten to the core, starving animals wandered aimlessly, and every thought Willow had was negative. The scenes of death, fog, and fire clouded her mind, leaving a gaping hole in her heart and an emptiness in her soul. Her insecurities and weaknesses were at the forefront of all her thoughts, causing her to doubt herself and the mission. What was she even fighting for? Would she ever see the day her hopes transformed into reality?
"Willow," Adresin spoke into the intercom, jolting her back to positivity.
"Yes."
"The shipment is safe and is being transferred to a safer location."
"Thank you." She smiled. At least a few lives would be changed because of their mission.
"You don't sound like yourself. What are you seeing?" Adresin seemed concerned.
"The trees are all dead. The animals almost are, too. I'm still on the top of the carriage, but I can hear dozens of other wheels. There are so many shipments heading out in every direction..."
"You're mumbling. Repeat?"
"This isn't possible..."
"What are you seeing?"
"Landon, Tribe 12."
"Willow, he's not there. Don't believe it."
"Adresin, he's right in front of me. He's right--" She was transported back into her past.