Lost Memories: Exterminators

The omnipresent skies had lost their glory, replaced by those of hell as they unleashed their fury upon the Elves below. Red pierced the clouds and formed sturdy paths for the king's guards to invade. The poorest of Elves sprinted wildly through the markets and forests, desperately fleeing for their homes. They had all known this day would come, but--as it did every year--it surprised them. Everyone ran for cover, some to escape the clutches of certain doom, and others just to watch the chaos grow. Nobles and respected officials of blue and silver skin sipped their coffee as they watched green and yellow bodies collapse. The Exterminators pounded against the ground, their enormous feet leaving deep imprints in the mud. Mothers and fathers grasped their wailing children and held them close until they reached the safety of their homes. The Exterminators fired at will, leaving fallen children and adults. They laughed when they hit their target, and they were experts. They did a lot of laughing. Their armor was much too strong to be broken. They were basically invincible--no obvious flaws. Screams. Panic. Fear.
          The girl had lost her parents somewhere in the commotion. She had pushed her little sister in front of her, and her mother had grabbed the youngest child. The girl was relieved that her sister was safe, but quickly overcome with terror as she realized her life was probably over. Horses sprinted passed her, their riders too distracted to recognize her desperation. She sobbed loudly.
"Mamma," she screeched, feeling her voice crack as she registered all hope was gone. "Mamma!" She called with the last of her strength. She collapsed at the base of a tree and tried to scrub the sadness from her eyes. She whimpered and looked from her yellow hands to those running passed her. Their wild hair and horrified eyes didn't surprise her. What was shocking was the fact that, even though their skin was the same, no one paused to help her, or to pull her up from the filthy ground.

Silence.

Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

          The child's heartbroken eyes landed on the Exterminator. She knew he saw her. His eyes were locked on her position: an experienced sniper's on an easy target. Those around her continued to flee as he shot at them from where he hid, and he was simply waiting for an opportunity to shoot her. She couldn't even hear the screams anymore, or those who called for their loved ones. She was locked on the sound of her own heart and the twigs moving under the feet of the Exterminator. She prepared herself for what was coming. His footsteps sped up as he got closer--he must've found her fear amusing as he drew his knife instead of the gun.

Thud. His feet approached.

Thud. She closed her eyes.

          BAM! Metal struck metal just before she was in his grasp. The child cautiously gazed through her fingers, which guarded her eyes. She was nearly blinded by the brilliance of the warrior standing before her, clad in white and gold. Her eyes shone both with a flood love and the intense hatred of evil and injustice. Boom. Whack. Thud! The Exterminator had landed at the base of a tree ten feet away, knocked unconscious by the force of the tree against his skull.
          She didn't know quite how to feel--the child was stunned, overjoyed, and still confused. She gazed at the warrior in wide-eyed wonder. There was a brief second of silence as the stunned crowd momentarily paused. Exterminators were locked on a new target: the warrior who could best them. By now, the child had flung to her feet. For but a moment, the warrior stooped down, unafraid and strong, to the eye level of the child. Her face was covered by a mask that was more beautiful than any face the child had seen. She bore the eyes of a fierce lioness--clear and white, with black outlining her iris. Her skin was an indescribably gorgeous shade of metallic silver. She smiled at the child and began to speak rapidly in multiple dialects until the child could understand the words. She was beautiful and educated.
"Where do you live?" The warrior asked.
"East Clearing," she sniffled.
"What's your name?" The warrior glanced over her shoulder to observe the advancing Exterminators.
"Kavalra Irhaal, Tribe Eleven."
"Stay close to me," the warrior maintained a firm yet gentle grip on Kavalra's wrist as she darted through the woods. The warrior saw they were about to walk into a trap, but she was confident in her plan "b." Three Exterminators leapt out of nowhere and Kavalra screamed. The warrior pushed her to the ground before the gunfire erupted. Smoke bomb. When Kavalra opened her weary eyes, they were in a clearing, safe and sound. A tall man was speaking with the warrior.
"Adresin, can you take the child home?" She was asking.
"Name?" He responded blankly.
"Kavalra Irhaal, East Clearing," the warrior remained silent as he began to leave with the child. "Hey," she called as they were almost out of sight, "thank you."
He didn't turn around or motion that he heard her, but the child saw him smile. The child watched him curiously.
"What?" He finally asked. He cautiously opened the passage door and they entered it, where they would safely begin their trip to the East Clearing. He lit his torch and observed the cobblestone walls that had a thick coat of spiderwebs over them.
"She's really, really nice," the child grew afraid of the darkness of the tunnel and instinctively slipped her little hand into the man's. He seemed bothered by this, but he didn't flinch. Well... when he did flinch and she didn't notice, he pretended it hadn't bothered him in the first place. He didn't like kids very much. Kids seemed to love him, but he didn't understand why. He was not fun or joyful, and he hated being touched. He wished he didn't have to deal with the little girl, but he also wanted to help her home. He wasn't cruel enough to refuse to help her.
"Yeah," he mumbled in response, still annoyed and focused on the little hand in his own.
"Maybe--like--if you think she's nice, you should tell her, because I forgot to," the girl said quietly.
"You're probably right," his eyebrows furrowed as he took a left turn, trying to decide which route would be fastest.
"But will you tell her for me that she's nice? And pretty."
He coughed, "Where do you live, exactly?"