The Betrothed

<Emman's POV>

I drew a sharp breath when our business presentation in Singapore was finally over. The investors have shown interest on the company's planned issuance of preferred shares that will give us elbow room to expand. An investment banker suggested to buy 30% of our redeemed treasury shares, but we politely declined. The company still enjoyed a healthy cash position that letting go of some voting shares, though not significant, was not part of the plan. There was confidence in the country's overall market condition and the presence of foreign competitors is just an indication of the strong market demand. The company's fundamentals and strong market base show that it can withstand any outside threat. We have managed to cover all business risks identified and the investors and stakeholders were satisfied with the strategy presented. There was also this magic that the presence of Donya Enriqueta Jimenez generated for she symbolized not only financial stability but also political clout.

The attendees were then ushered to the restaurant and rooftop bar of the hotel. The thought of food and wine being served by the manmade pool should have been an enticing part for me, but I recognized that it was also the moment where conversations will be made with people I barely knew, and where topics could go to almost anything from political climate to as petty as their next golf schedule.

This is going to be boring as fuck. Although, I rather be here than at the function room the whole fucking day.

I took a sip of an expensive wine from my goblet without losing gaze on Filipa. She was talking to a bulky man wearing suits and clean stubbles. I recognized the man as the ambassador from Brazil. The ambassador was obviously flirting with my cousin. A small smile formed at the corner of my lips witnessing an actual hunting exercise.

He is good-looking, but I'm sure Filipa is not interested with him.

Contrary to what a lot of people think of my cousin, Filipa is absurdly interested with bad-boy cowboy looking guys you would see in old west side movies. Men who are wearing elegant suit and are all spruced up are too gay for him.

What kind of men does Filipa expect to meet in this world we are in but perfumed and dapper guys?

I joked at her once that I would send her to the military camp down south in our country to meet more guys of her preference. That part of the country is being pestered by local rebel groups, a place where the strongest and baddest soldiers are being sent to fight the war. Half-expected, Filipa considered the idea with enough seriousness. I then had a clear idea of what her fetishes were.

My forehead winkled when Filipa suddenly left the ambassador and scanned the place looking for me. I shook my head and smirked.

How can she get laid if she always lets the good ones go?

She walked briskly towards my location. Caught unawares, she snagged my cup and downed the remaining wine in it. "Let us go, your mom is here, and she's got company." She said, motioning the two people who have just arrived.

My mom, Senate President Loren was accompanied by Congressman Arnulfo Echiverri. Her arm was hooked in Arnulfo's flashing the fakest smile this world has ever been blessed with. Arnulfo and Loren are both in their early fifties, but they look a lot younger than their age.

"What the fuck is that asshole doing here?" I remarked referring to the Congressman. "Are they going to do the meeting with the political party tonight?"

"The meeting is tomorrow morning, maybe they are just warming up." Filipa responded. "Emman, I saw the list of the senatorial candidates and they have included a famous newscaster and a movie legend who do not have a hint on political affairs. The senate is doomed if they win." She exclaimed.