3) Shaping up

First look at the other heroes of the story. Dean's POV.

---

Dean was cranky. Like really cranky and he was well aware, but to be fair, he had every right. The last case they had, it hadn't gone too well; in fact, it had gone pretty south. It wasn't just about Baby getting possessed by a vengeful spirit, no; it was about the girl.

A completely innocent girl had died and because she had her sister given her a kidney a while ago, the last piece of the body Sam and Dean hadn't burned yet, it had come... disgustingly convenient when the attack of the said vengeful spirit aimed at Sam and Dean had ended the girl's life. With Lisa crap and Sam's soul crap still raw, it was really not a good time. They barely managed to found a near motel and laid their heads to sleep, ready to check on the real damage made to Baby in the morning. Dean didn't sleep easily.

When he woke up, Sam was already awake of course, back from the hunt for food; probably aware of how shitty Dean was feeling, he had tracked down a pie – an actual freshly baked pie. Sammy was the best brother ever; with his soul back. He had already finished his coffee when Dean rolled out of bed, woken up by the delicious smell.

"Morning, Sammy," he mumbled, running his hand down his face tiredly, chasing away the remains of his dream of claws and fangs.

"Good morning," Sam returned the greeting absently, frowning at his laptop.

"Thanks for the pie. What's with the face?" Dean asked as he sat opposite to his brother, opening the box reverentially.

"Missing person. Two, actually. New York, Upper West Side of Manhattan and Hell's Kitchen."

Dean frowned, his mind waking up too slowly. "Why does Hell's Kitchen ring a bell?"

"Because we were there over a year ago," Sam informed him, sighing.

"The masked dude! The one dressed like the Devil, right? What was his name? Martin—no wait, I got this. Mike."

Sam's lips twitched. "Technically. It was Matt and he went under Mike until Cas revealed his identity to us."

Dean snapped his fingers. "Right. And you don't think he can handle that? Is there something... not natural about the disappearances?"

Sam grimaced. "Depends."

He turned the laptop around so Dean could see a picture of the people missing. It was a young woman and a young man – and the chick was familiar. His heart skipped a beat with realization.

"That's his girlfriend. I remember her. She was hot. And pretty cool."

"Yeah, well, she's been reported missing not even two hours ago. Left the apartment Monday evening, walking to a gym, and never came back. And the interesting thing is – Matt is the one who reported her missing. You think he would do that if he was handling things?"

Dean sighed. They had a lot on their plates now. And Matt had their number, he could have just called for help if he needed it. Which he hadn't. Dean wanted to help, but...

"I don't know, Sammy. Maybe he just doesn't want to look suspicious? I mean, I would report my girlfriend missing if she was. Don't you think he would let us know if there was something weird about it?" Dean questioned.

"I don't know. But you know what, a phone call sounds like a good idea. I'll just check up on them."

Matt didn't pick up, the voice announcing it was not possible to reach the called number. Dean didn't like that and apparently neither did Sam.