Jealous

Why did this new guy have to transfer. Why'd he have to be in the way. Lucas and Riley were in the same grade, shared more classes together, and ever since they've been getting closer watching them in art class was torture.

I angrily painted stroke after stroke on the canvas in front of me. "That's an interesting color."

I looked forward cringing at the disgusting brown circle staring back at me. So much for getting this assignment done. "What do you want Missy?"

"I just couldn't help noticing the daggers you're sending in that direction." She laid her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arms around my neck. Missy used one hand to point in the direction of Lucas and Riley. "Was just wondering if you were jealous of little Riley."

I laughed internally. I wanted to tell her it was quiet the opposite but Missy was bad news. Missy had ears and eyes throughout the school she knew all the gossip, she ran the school from the shadows of her good-girl mask and it also helped that she was the head cheerleader.

"Me, jealous?" I shook her off my shoulder turning on my stool so I was facing her. "I have no interest in either of them."

"Either of them huh?" Her lips twisted into a sinister looking smile. "Now isn't that just interesting." With those parting words she walked back over to her seat and focused on her own artwork.

Damn me and damn my choice of words. I walked over towards the flirting teens and used the sink beside them to wash off my brushes.

"Oh hey Maya," Riley's voice was like honey smooth and sweet. "Lucas was just telling me about a party he went to recently."

"That's cool. Did you show them how to ride a bull? Show them how to have a real hoedown?" I didn't turn around but kept washing the paint off my brushes trying to get it over with so I could get back to my seat.

"That's funny how long did it take you to think of short-stack?" Lucas chuckled deeply. My grip on my paintbrushes loosened as I let them fall into the sink. Turning around I could see the smug expression on his face and as I stepped closer the smugness started to fade.

"Listen very carefully cowboy." I grabbed the collar of his shirt pulling him closer so that I could whisper without Riley hearing. "I don't like you."

His eyes flickered to Riley and mine followed I could see the worry on her face and it made me feel like crap knowing it was because of me. Because I couldn't keep my feelings in check. "Let me guess you like her?" The smugness was back and I immediately let go of his shirt.

"Not even if you paid me." My hands balled up as I walked by Riley trying to seem calm trying to not seem suspicious. Everything in me wanted to grab my things and run out of the classroom but I knew he'd get cocky and think he had managed to bother me and get under my skin. I sat in place staring at the ugly brownish yellow circle taking up my whole canvas. Just a couple of minutes and I'd be free.

The bell rang 10 minutes later and I was the first one out of the door walking quickly down the hallway.

"Hey Maya!" Farkle stood waving but I didn't have time I pushed by him and continued out of the double doors. I didn't look back to see if he was coming after me I just kept moving forward into the parking lot. I unlocked my car and hopped in quickly bringing it to life and shifting into reverse to get out of here. I drove through the city until I was at the city limit.

I pulled onto the side of the road putting my head against the steering wheel. Part of me said to go back but another asked why. There wasn't anyone expecting me to be home. No one needed me. I learned that a long time ago and I accepted it already. This year Maya Hart was going to do whatever the hell she wanted to, so I kept driving.