𝟏.𝟺 : 𝐑𝚎𝐚𝚍𝐲 𝚝𝐨 𝙶𝐨 (𝐃𝚒𝐞)

"𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙉' 𝙈𝘼𝙅𝙊𝙍. 𝙅𝙐𝙎𝙏 𝙋𝙊𝙋𝙋𝙀𝘿 𝘼 𝙅𝙊𝙄𝙉𝙏," Clint concluded with a gentle smile as she sat up in the bed. "Just give yourself a day to rest and you'll be all better by tomorrow, Greenie."

She groaned and pouted, crossing her arms over her stomach. "That sounds miserably boring."

Clint sent a glance over to Alby, who didn't have much to say on the topic. "Well, if Alby's alright with it, I wouldn't mind a little help in here... Alby?"

"Well, technically, it's up to Nick. I don't mind, though, and I wouldn't think he'd be opposed to it either. Speeds up the process a little bit, don't it?" He answered with a shrug, then made his way out. "Show her 'round, Clint!"

She fist-bumped the air with an excited "Yes!" and hopped out of the bed, making sure to keep most of her weight off of her injured leg. She was more than happy to spend the rest of the day in the shade of the cabin, only occasionally tending to a few minor bumps and scratches. The most excitement she witnessed was the nearly-severed finger of a Slicer. She concluded that maybe being a Med-Jack for the rest of her days wouldn't be as enjoyable as she had thought.

The blue of the sky began to darken, so Clint relieved her of her duties and sent her off to get dinner while he finished cleaning up the cabin. She skipped down the few steps and strolled across the grass, arms swinging and head held high. It made her wonder how she could feel so giddy after being trapped in a concrete hell.

When she stepped inside the Homestead, everyone was already seated and eating. At their usual table was Garrett, Scott, Gally, and Dmitri. They noticed her enter and immediately waved her over, they even already had a plate of food ready for her. When she sat down between Scoot and Gally, Scott reached over and gave her a pat on the back.

          "Heard ya had some fun in the med cabin, eh? How was that?" Scott asked.

          She shrugged. "Not too bad. Boring, but it was good. Clint was a great teacher even though not much went on—you guys need to hurt yourselves more, give us something to do."

          Dmitri snorted. "Don't worry, Simon will be sure to keep you busy often."

          At the table next to theirs, Simon sunk into his seat while his face turned red. Dmitri slapped a hand down on his shoulder and have it a light shake. "All jokes, ya shank."

          "Well, after that, there's not much left for you to do. Your last job is Bagging, then maybe we can get ya runnin' the Maze in no time."

          Absolutely not. Fuck that Maze.

          "Yeah, sure..." she couldn't hide the crack in her voice, but none of the boys seemed to notice, so to divert she asked: "What exactly is Bagging?"

          "Oh, they always save the best for last," Gally said gleefully with such a subtle touch of sarcasm, she nearly missed it. "So, basically, you'd be the one to patrol the Glade and keep everyone in line. Make sure there's no rule breaking, kind of like our own personal security team. It's those who're well respected and trusted by everyone in the Glade. Also, if someone dies, you bury the body."

          Her fork clattered against her plate, she nearly choked on her food. "I—What?! People have died here?!"