➳ chapter four

Daisy had left Astrid to explain Theo's plan to the rest of the Witches. After all, she was the one most directly involved, and while the others didn't need to worry, it was better that they were aware in case things did take a turn for the worse.

With two days left before Nik's scheduled transport, Daisy was stuck in her office, working non-stop to collect all the information that had been asked of her. Even though it might not all be necessary, Astrid knew that the more they knew, the less likely they'd be surprised by a rift in the plan. Thankfully, Daisy had managed to crack into the outside surveillance, which had been the most crucial aspect. Everything else was slowly falling into place afterwards.

Teresa hung back from the rest of the group as Astrid stood to the left of the whiteboard. The other Witches either sat on the floor or squished together on the couch, leaning forward in order to decipher the half-hearted scribbles she'd drawn to explain the basics to Theo's two-step plan.

"Once the Soldiers provide the distraction around back," Astrid said, tapping the marker against what was supposed to be the back of the sheriff station, "it should force the other officers to panic and bring Nik to the van as quickly as possible. Of course, Aaron and I will be there to intercept Nik then, and..."

She trailed off, not knowing what else to say. It was a simple plan, and as it came out of Theo's mouth, she believed it could work, but when she said it out loud, she couldn't muster the same conviction he'd used to convince her in the first place.

"We save Nik," she said at last, looking up long enough to make eye contact with Teresa who gave her an encouraging nod. "Then it'll all be back to normal."

One of the girls closest to Astrid, Lisa, spoke up. "Are you sure that you two can handle it on your own? I mean, you don't have to take the risk alone."

"Theo emphasized that it was a two-person team only," Astrid said before softening her voice. "It'll be quick, I promise. Then we don't have to worry about any other gangs trying to challenge us because of our alliance, and we don't have to worry about the Soldiers anymore."

Sweeping her gaze over the group, she recognized the frustration written on some of their faces. They wanted to help simply because Astrid was the one making the sacrifice. She appreciated it. She did. But this had been her deal with Aaron—and this was how Theo followed through.

Before anyone else could question the plan, Teresa strode over to Astrid. "If anything happens, it falls on the Soldiers' shoulders. We're trying to help them. If they fail..." She shrugged. "But I doubt they will."

Theo wouldn't let them fail.

"Any more questions?" Astrid asked.

Only silence dared to answer, and within a few minutes, the other Witches had risen and headed on their way. She hadn't seen Teresa head upstairs, but she realized she was alone when her footsteps echoed against the warehouse floor. With a paper towel, she wiped down the entirety of the whiteboard, not letting herself think much of anything at all.

After rearranging the cushions of the couch (usually in disarray after having nearly two dozen women use it each day) and pushing the whiteboard to the side, Astrid moved to head upstairs. She hadn't done much of anything today, but exhausted still weighed down on her, crushing her shoulders until her movements became sluggish.

Her foot grazed the bottom step when she heard the rustle of a bush outside. Her mouth parted, halfway to calling out to Teresa, when she clamped it shut again. She didn't have to startle the other two if it was only a squirrel. Astrid slunk over to her jacket hanging by the front door and fished out the pistol she'd left inside. She was supposed to put it back in the chest, but between all the chaos of the afternoon, she'd forgotten. Now she was glad she did.